This paper presents a coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed tri-mode hybrid antenna that is suitable for quad-band applications. The antenna design is compact, measuring only 30×30 mm2, and consists of a zeroth-order resonator (ZOR) antenna, a torch-shaped monopole antenna, and a T-shaped slot antenna. The most significant feature of this design is its ability to provide three independent working modes, making it a hybrid antenna. By incorporating a Composite Right/Left-Handed Transmission Line (CRLH-TL) unit cell, the first mode is excited as a ZOR antenna, corresponding to the lowest resonance at around 1.57 GHz. The second mode relies on the torch-shaped monopole antenna with two resonances at about 2.5 GHz and 3.5 GHz. The third mode employs the T-shaped slot antenna with a resonance at around 5.5 GHz. Experimental results demonstrate that the proposed antenna exhibits a wide and multi-band behavior with impedance bandwidths of 60 MHz (1.56-1.62 GHz), 210 MHz (2.30-2.51 GHz), 370 MHz (3.40-3.77 GHz), and 1100 MHz (5.05-6.15 GHz). This antenna can not only support the current GPS/WLAN/WiMAX systems but can also be considered as one element of a multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antenna array for the fifth-generation (5G) mobile communication in the sub-6 GHz frequency range.
"A Tri-Mode Hybrid Antenna for Quad-Band Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 111, 45-54, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23042601
1. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2004.
2. Ooi, S. Y., P. S. Chee, and E. H. Lim, "A zeroth-order slot-loaded cap-shaped patch antenna with omnidirectional radiation characteristic for UHF RFID tag design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 71, No. 1, 131-139, 2023. doi:10.1109/TAP.2022.3221032
3. Nguyen, M. A. and G. Bien, "Design of an out-folded patch antenna with a zeroth-order resonance for non-invasive continuous glucose monitoring," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 70, No. 10, 8932-8940, 2022. doi:10.1109/TAP.2022.3177517
4. Li, Z. Y., Y. Z. Zhu, H. L. Yang, G. H. Peng, and X. Y. Liu, "A dual-band omnidirectional circular polarized antenna using composite right/left-handed transmission line with rectangular slits for unmanned aerial vehicle applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 100586-100595, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2999369
5. Lai, A., T. Itoh, and C. Caloz, "Composite right/lefted-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 5, No. 3, 34-50, 2004. doi:10.1109/MMW.2004.1337766
7. Mohammad, A. and C. Raghvendra, "Metamaterial circularly polarized antennas: Integrating an epsilon negative transmission line and single split ring-type resonator," IEEE Antenna Propag. Mag., Vol. 63, No. 4, 60-77, 2021. doi:10.1109/MAP.2019.2950920
8. Luo, Y., Y. M. He, S. G. Xu, and G. L. Yang, "Programmable zeroth-order resonance with uniform manipulation using the nonlinearity of PIN diodes," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 11, 2419-2423, 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2930351
9. Wang, Z., S. N. Zhao, and Y. D. Dong, "Pattern reconfigurable, low-profile, vertically polarized, ZOR-metasurface antenna for 5G application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 70, No. 8, 6581-6591, 2022. doi:10.1109/TAP.2022.3162332
10. Chi, P. L. and Y. S. Shih, "Compact and bandwidth-enhanced zeroth-order resonant antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 285-288, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2363087
11. Harish, A. M., B. R. Gudibandi, and K. D. Sriram, "Triple-band zeroth-order epsilon-negative antenna using two pseudo-open termination unit cells for C-band applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 6, 1011-1015, 2019.
12. Luo, X. S., Z. B. Weng, and L. Yang, "A circularly-polarized antenna with broadband based on CRLH-TL for navigation applications," Proceedings of 6th Asia-Pacic Conference on Antenna and Propagation, Xi'an, China, 2017.
13. Lbrahim, A. A., M. A. Abdalla, and Z. R. Hu, "Compact ACS-fed CRLH MIMO antenna for wireless applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 6, 1021-1025, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0975
14. Saeid, K. and R. Vahid, "A novel ZOR antenna with a capablility to change polarization and diversity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 93, 73-80, 2020.
15. Zhang, J. H., S. Yan, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Realization of dual band pattern diversity with a CRLH-TL inspired reconguration metamaterial," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 10, 5130-5138, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2859917
16. Ning, Y. W., Y. Fan, and Y. D. Dong, "Omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna based on dual zeroth-order resonances," Proceeding of 2019 IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Singapore, 816-818, 2019.
17. Liu, L. Y. and B. Z.Wang, "Compact circularly polarized ZOR and FOR antenna employing CRLH transmission lines," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 4, 964-969, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29710
18. Shi, Y., Q. S. Zeng, Z. F.Wang, Q. Q. Si, Y. D. Zhang, T. Qiu, Y. Q. Shang, and Y.Wu, "Wideband asymmetric coplanar waveguide antenna using composite right/left-handed transmission line," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 64, No. 6, 1062-1069, 2022. doi:10.1002/mop.33216
19. Pratap, L. B., A. Mohan, and D. Arijit, "Compact bandwidth-extended CRLH-TL based monopole antenna," Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC- URSI Radio Science), Denver, USA, 2022.
20. Cao, Y. F., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "A multiband slot antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 3, 952-958, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2389219
21. Sun, X., G. Zeng, H. C. Yang, X. J. Liao, and L. Wang, "Design of an edge-fed quad-band slot antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 111-120, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL11080407