A low cost and compact chipless Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) humidity sensor with the size of 18 * 18 * 0.5 mm3 is designed for environmental humidity monitor. The sensor consists of a circular resonator and a rectangular substrate, which utilizes the polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) humidity sensitive material for relative humidity (RH) sensing. The PVA humidity sensitive material covers the sensor surface. The working principle of the sensor is that the change of environmental humidity results in the changing of dielectric constant of PVA and thus shifting of the resonant frequency of the sensor. The real-time humidity can be observed by monitoring the resonant frequency. The simulation results show that the humidity sensing range of the designed humidity sensor is 21.9% RH~52.5% RH, corresponding to the resonant frequency range of the sensor from 2.76 GHz to 2.51 GHz with the total offset 250 MHz. The maximum humidity sensitivity was 23.08 MHz/% RH within the monitoring range. The designed humidity sensor has the advantages of low cost, compact and simple structure, which is suitable for humidity monitoring in various complex environments.
"High Sensitivity Passive Wireless Humidity Sensor Based on Polyvinyl Alcohol," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 111, 93-102, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23060605
1. Jeong, H., Y. Noh, and D. Lee, "Highly stable and sensitive resistive flexible humidity sensors by means of roll-to-roll printed electrodes and flower-like TiO2 nanostructures," Ceramics International, Vol. 45, No. 1, 985-992, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.ceramint.2018.09.276
2. Bi, H., K. Yin, X. Xie, J. Ji, S.Wan, L. Sun, and M. S. Dresselhaus, "Ultrahigh humidity sensitivity of graphene oxide," Scientific Reports, Vol. 3, No. 1, 2714, 2013. doi:10.1038/srep02714
3. Liu, J. H., L. D. Du, J. Jin, Z. Fang, and Z. Zhao, "Improvement of the microcapacitive humidity sensor by the package optimization," Micro & Nano Letters, Vol. 15, No. 3, 145-148, 2020. doi:10.1049/mnl.2019.0422
4. Kim, J., J. H. Cho, H. M. Lee, and S. M. Hong, "Capacitive humidity sensor based on carbon black/polyimide composites," Sensors, Vol. 21, No. 6, 1947, 2021. doi:10.3390/s21061947
5. Smith, A. D., K. Elgammal, F. Niklaus, A. Delin, A. C. Fischer, S. Vaziri, and M. C. Lemme, "Resistive graphene humidity sensors with rapid and direct electrical readout," Nanoscale, Vol. 7, No. 45, 19099-19109, 2015. doi:10.1039/C5NR06038A
6. Packirisamy, M., I. Stiharu, X. Li, and G. Rinaldi, "A polyimide based resistive humidity sensor," Sensor Review, Vol. 25, No. 4, 271-276, 2005. doi:10.1108/02602280510620123
7. Borgese, M., F. A. Dicandia, F. Costa, S. Genovesi, and G. Manara, "An inkjet printed chipless RFID sensor for wireless humidity monitoring," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 17, No. 15, 4699-4707, 2017. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2017.2712190
8. Abbasi, Z., M. Baghelani, and M. Daneshmand, "Zero power consumption chipless distant microwave moisture sensor for smart home applications," Proc. IEEE Sensors, 1-4, Montreal, Canada, October 2019.
9. Bagchi, S., A. Shakouri, R. Rahimi, N. Raghunathan, and J. F. Waimin, "Battery-less wireless chipless sensor tag for subsoil moisture monitoring," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 21, No. 5, 6071-6082, 2020.
10. Yao, Y., H. Zhang, J. Sun, W. Y. Ma, L. Li, W. Z. Li, and J. Du, "Novel QCM humidity sensors using stacked black phosphorus nanosheets as sensing film," Sensors Actuat. B: Chem., Vol. 244, 259-264, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.snb.2017.01.010
11. Lu, D., Y. Zheng, A. Penirschke, and R. Jakoby, "Humidity sensors based on photolithographically patterned PVA films deposited on SAW resonators," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 16, No. 1, 13-14, 2015. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2015.2468082
12. Zhang, Y., Y. Chen, Y. Zhang, H. Cong, B. Fu, S. Wen, and S. Ruan, "A novel humidity sensor based on NH2-MIL-125(Ti) metal organic framework with high responsiveness," J. Nanopart. Res., Vol. 15, 1-6, 2003.
13. Le, X. H., X. Y. Wang, J. T. Pang, Y. J. Liu, B. Fang, Z. Xu, C. Gao, Y. Xu, and J. Xie, "A high performance humidity sensor based on surface acoustic wave and graphene oxide on AlN/Si layered structure," Sensors Actuat. B: Chem., Vol. 255, 2454-2461, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.snb.2017.09.038
14. Cirmirakis, D., A. Demosthenous, N. Saeidi, and N. Donaldson, "Humidity-to-frequency sensor in CMOS technology with wireless readout," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 13, No. 3, 900-908, 2012. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2012.2217376
15. Tan, Z. C., R. Daamen, A. Humbert, Y. V. Ponomarev, Y. Chae, and M. A. P. Pertijs, "A 1.2-V 8.3-nJ CMOS humidity sensor for RFID applications," IEEE J. Solid-St. Circ., Vol. 48, No. 10, 2469-2477, 2013. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2013.2275661
16. Deng, F. M., Y. G. He, C. L. Zhang, and W. Feng, "A CMOS humidity sensor for passive RFID sensing applications," Sensors, Vol. 14, No. 5, 8728-8739, 2014. doi:10.3390/s140508728
17. Deng, F. M., Y. G. He, B. Li, Y. Song, and X. Wu, "Design of a slotted chipless RFID humidity sensor tag," Sensor Actuat. B-Chem., Vol. 264, 255-262, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.snb.2018.02.153
18. Ali, A., S. I. Jafri, A. Habib, Y. Amin, and H. Tenhunen, "RFID humidity sensor tag for low-cost applications," Appl. Comput. Electrom. Society, Vol. 32, No. 12, 1083-1088, 2017.
19. Raju, R. and G. E. Bridges, "Radar cross section-based chipless tag with built-in reference for relative humidity monitoring of packaged food commodities," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 21, No. 117, 18773-18780, 2021. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2021.3090367
20. Komoda, N., T. Michisaka, and M. Kondo, "Novel sensing techniques of chipless RFID sensor for infrastructure," IEICE Commun. Expr., Vol. 9, No. 6, 244-249, 2020. doi:10.1587/comex.2020XBL0014
21. Habib, A., R. Asif, M. Fawwad, Y. Amin, J. Loo, and H. Tenhunen, "Directly printable compact chipless RFID tag for humidity sensing," IEICE Electron. Expr., Vol. 14, No. 10, 20170169-20170169, 2017. doi:10.1587/elex.14.20170169
22. Sumra, Z., H. Ayesha, S. J. Anum, A. Yasar, L. Jonathan, and T. Hannu, "Dual-polarized chipless humidity sensor tag," IEICE Electron. Expr., Vol. 14, No. 21, 20170926-20170926, 2017. doi:10.1587/elex.14.20170926
23. Anum Satti, J., A. Habib, H. Anam, S. Zeb, Y. Amin, J. Loo, and H. Tenhunen, "Miniaturized humidity and temperature sensing RFID enabled tags," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 28, No. 1, e2115, 2017.
24. Feng, Y., L. Xie, Q. Chen, and L. R. Zheng, "Low-cost printed chipless RFID humidity sensor tag for intelligent packaging," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 15, No. 6, 3201-3208, 2015. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2014.2385154
25. Zeb, S., A. Habib, Y. Amin, H. Tenhunen, and J. Loo, "Green electronic based chipless humidity sensor for IoT applications," 2018 IEEE Green Technologies Conference, 172-175, Austin, USA, April 2018.
26. Xie, M. Z., L. F. Wang, L. Dong, W. J. Deng, and Q. A. Huang, "Low cost paper-based LC wireless humidity sensors and distance-insensitive readout system," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 19, No. 12, 4717-4725, February 2019. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2019.2901004
27. Gaspar, C., J. Olkkonen, S. Passoja, and M. Smolander, "Paper as active layer in inkjet-printed capacitive humidity sensors," Sensors, Vol. 17, No. 7, 1464, 2017. doi:10.3390/s17071464
28. Barman, B., S. Bhaskar, and A. K. Singh, "Spiral resonator loaded S-shaped folded dipole dual band UHF RFID tag antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 61, No. 3, 720-726, 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.31647
29. Athauda, T. and N. C. Karmakar, "The realization of chipless RFID resonator for multiple physical parameter sensing," IEEE Internet Things, Vol. 6, No. 3, 5387-5396, 2019. doi:10.1109/JIOT.2019.2901470
30. Vena, A., E. Perret, and S. Tedjini, "High capaciy chipless RFID tag insensitive to the polarization," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 10, 4509-4515, 2012.
31. Dissanayake, T. and K. P. Esselle, "Prediction of the notch frequency of slot loaded printed UWB antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3320-3325, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.908792
32. Vena, A., E. Perret, and S. Tedjini, "Chipless RFID based on RF encoding particle: Realization, coding, reading system," Remote Identification beyond RFID Set, 171-180, ISTE Press, London, UK; Elsevier, London, UK, August 2016.
33. Kok, Y. Y., Z. Abbas, K. Khalid, and M. Z. Rahman, "Improved dielectric model for polyvinyl alcohol-water hydrogel at microwave frequencies," Am. J. Appl. Sci., Vol. 7, No. 2, 270-276, 2010. doi:10.3844/ajassp.2010.270.276
34. Gevorgian, S., L. Linner, and E. L. Kollberg, "CAD models for shielded multilayered CPW," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 43, No. 4, 772-779, 1995. doi:10.1109/22.375223
35. Paul, D. R., "Water vapor sorption and diffusion in glassy polymers," Macromolecular Symposi, Vol. 138, No. 1, 13-20, WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA,Weinheim, Germany, March 1999. doi:10.1002/masy.19991380104
37. Lu, D., Y. Zheng, A. Penirschke, A. Wiens, and R. Jakoby, "Humidity dependent permittivity characterization of polyvinyl-alcohol film and its application in relative humidity RF sensor," 2014 44th European Microwave Conference, 163-166, Rome, Italy, October 2014.