The outage probability performance of a hybrid free space optical (FSO)/radio frequency (RF) system with a reconfigurable intelligent surface (RIS) assisted full-duplex relay is presented in this paper. The FSO link follows the Gamma-Gamma distribution over pointing error and atmospheric turbulence with random foggy impairments. The RF link between the relay and the destination is subject to Nakagami-m distributions, while the RIS links and the relay self-interference (SI) link follow Rayleigh fading. As a result, the RIS-to-relay link's cumulative distribution function (CDF) of the signal to interference plus noise ratio (SINR) is obtained. On the basis of this, the system's outage probability is determined according to the decode and forward relay protocol. Thus, Monte-Carlo simulations are utilized to verify the obtained expression's accuracy. Our findings show how atmospheric turbulence, pointing errors, fog conditions, and the number of RIS reflecting elements affect the system performance. Furthermore, it is concluded that, under the identical channel conditions, heterodyne detection performs better than intensity modulation/direct detection (IM/DD).
Kehinde Oluwasesan Odeyemi,
Pius Adewale Owolawi,
Oladayo O. Olakanmi,
"Reconfigurable Intelligent Surface Assisted Full-Duplex Relay Hybrid FSO/RF Systems Over
Atmospheric Turbulence with Foggy Impairments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 113, 125-129, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23073108
1. Odeyemi, K. O., P. A. Owolawi, and O. O. Olakanmi, "Reconfigurable intelligent surface-assisted HAPS relaying communication networks for multiusers under AF protocol: A performance analysis," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 14857-14869, 2022. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3146885
2. Chapala, V. K. and S. M. Zafaruddin, "RIS-assisted multihop FSO/RF hybrid system for vehicular communications over generalized fading,", arXiv preprint arXiv: 12944, 2021.
3. Björnson, E., Ö. Özdogan, and E. G. Larsson, "Intelligent reflecting surface versus decode-and-forward: How large surfaces are needed to beat relaying?," IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, Vol. 9, No. 2, 244-248, 2019. doi:10.1109/LWC.2019.2950624
4. Odeyemi, K. O., G. Aiyetoro, P. A. Owolawi, and O. O. Olakanmi, "Performance analysis of reconfigurable intelligent surface in a dual-hop DF relay empowered asymmetric RF/FSO networks," Optical Quantum Electronics, Vol. 53, No. 11, 621, 2021. doi:10.1007/s11082-021-03277-0
5. Rahman, Z., T. N. Shah, S. M. Zafaruddin, and V. K. Chaubey, "Performance of dual-hop relaying for OWC system over foggy channel with pointing errors and atmospheric turbulence," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 71, No. 4, 3776-3791, 2021. doi:10.1109/TVT.2021.3136365
6. Chatzidiamantis, N. D., G. K. Karagiannidis, E. E. Kriezis, and M. Matthaiou, "Diversity combining in hybrid RF/FSO systems with PSK modulation," 2011 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), 1-6, IEEE, 2011.
7. Ibrahim, M., A. Badrudduza, M. Shakhawat Hossen, M. K. Kundu, and I. Shafique Ansari, "On effective secrecy throughput of underlay spectrum sharing $alpha $-$mu$/Málaga hybrid model under interference-and-transmit power constraints,", arXiv e-prints, arXiv: 2111.06574, 2021.
8. Usman, M., H.-C. Yang, and M.-S. Alouini, "Practical switching-based hybrid FSO/RF transmission and its performance analysis," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 6, No. 5, 1-13, 2014. doi:10.1109/JPHOT.2014.2352629
9. Vishwakarma, N. and R. Swaminathan, "Performance analysis of hybrid FSO/RF communication over generalized fading models," Optics Communications, Vol. 487, 126796, 2021. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2021.126796
10. Akbulut, A., "A practical approach to improve optical channel utilization period for hybrid FSO/RF systems," Advances in Electrical Electronic Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 6, 599-603, 2014.
11. Sharma, S., A. Madhukumar, and R. Swaminathan, "Effect of pointing errors on the performance of hybrid FSO/RF networks," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 131418-131434, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2940630
12. Singya, P. K., B. Makki, A. D’Errico, and M.-S. Alouini, "Hybrid FSO/THz-based backhaul network for mmWave terrestrial communication," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 22, No. 7, 4342-4359, 2022. doi:10.1109/TWC.2022.3224331
13. Wu, Y., G. Li, and D. Kong, "Performance analysis of relayaided hybrid FSO/RF cooperation communication system over the generalized turbulence channels with pointing errors and Nakagami-m fading channels," Sensors, Vol. 23, No. 13, 6191, 2023. doi:10.3390/s23136191
14. Swaminathan, R., S. Sharma, N. Vishwakarma, and A. Madhukumar, "HAPS-based relaying for integrated space-air-ground networks with hybrid FSO/RF communication: A performance analysis," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace Electronic Systems, Vol. 57, No. 3, 1581-1599, 2021. doi:10.1109/TAES.2021.3050663
15. Mondal, S., A. Bhowal, S. Kashyap, R. S. Kshetrimayum, and M. Patra, "Outage probability analysis of hard-switching based mixed FSO/IRS-aided RF communication," 2023 National Conference on Communications (NCC), Guwahati, India, 2022.
16. Odeyemi, K. O., P. A. Owolawi, and O. O. Olakanmi, "On the performance of reconfigurable intelligent surface in cooperative decode-and-forward relaying for hybrid RF/FSO systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 110, 157-169, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM22020601
17. Yang, L. and Y. Yuan, "Secrecy outage probability analysis for RIS-assisted NOMA systems," Electronics Letters, Vol. 56, No. 23, 1254-1256, 2020. doi:10.1049/el.2020.2284
18. Odeyemi, K. O., P. A. Owolawi, and O. O. Olakanmi, "Performance analysis of reconfigurable intelligent surface assisted underwater optical communication system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 98, 101-111, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20101203
19. Chapala, V. K. and S. M. Zafaruddin, "Unified performance analysis of reconfigurable intelligent surface empowered freespace optical communications," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 70, No. 4, 2575-2592, 2021. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2021.3139020
20. Odeyemi, K. O., P. A. Owolawi, and V. M. Srivastava, "Performance analysis of free space optical system with spatial modulation and diversity combiners over the Gamma Gamma atmospheric turbulence," Optics Communications, Vol. 382, 205-211, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2016.07.072
21. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, Academic Press, 2014.
22. Tokgoz, S. C., S. Althunibat, S. L. Miller, and K. A. Qaraqe, "Outage analysis of relay-based dual-hop hybrid FSO-mmWave systems," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 2895-2907, 2021.
23. Wang, Z., W. Shi, W. Liu, Y. Zhao, and K. Kang, "Performance analysis of full duplex relay assisted mixed RF/FSO system," Optics Communications, Vol. 474, 126170, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2020.126170
24. Odeyemi, K. O., P. A. Owolawi, and V. M. Srivastava, "A comparison between mathematical tools for analyzing FSO systems over gamma-gamma atmospheric channel," 2017 IEEE AFRICON, 549-554, IEEE, 2017. doi:10.1109/AFRCON.2017.8095540