This paper proposes a novel compact dual-band bandpass filter (BPF) using four spiral resonators for application in GSM and IEEE 802.11b WLANs for the first time. Since the two passbands can be tuned individually, the filter has more design freedoms. The symmetry coupling structure is realized to achieve a isolation higher than 30 dB between the lower and higher passbands. The full-wave simulator IE3D is used to design the spiral resonators and calculate the coupling coefficients of the basic coupling structures. The designed BPF is fabricated and measured. Good agreement between the simulated and measured results verifies our design concept.
2. Papantoniou, V. P. and T. D. Xenos, "Development and electro-magnetic characterization of adaptable open-architecture WLAN systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 229-242, 2009.
3. Jang, G. and S. Kahng, "Design of a dual-band metamaterial bandpass filter using order resonance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 149-162, 2010.
4. Liu, Y. and W. Dou, "A dual-band filter realized by alternately connecting the main transmission-line with shunt stubs and shunt serial resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, 296-299, 2009.
5. Weng, M. H., H. W. Wu, and Y. K. Su, "Compact and low loss dual-band bandpass filter using pseudo-interdigital stepped impedance resonators for WLANs," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, 187-190, 2007.
6. Weng, M. H., S. K. Liu, H. W.Wu, and C. H. Hung, "A dual-band bandpass filter having wide and narrow bands simultaneously using multilayered stepped impedance resonators ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 139-147, 2010.
7. Lin, W. J., C. S. Chang, J. Y. Li, D. B. Lin, L. S. Chen, and M. P. Houng, "A new approach of dual-band filters by stepped impedance simplified cascaded quadruplet resonators with slot coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 19-28, 2009.
8. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1998.
9. Zeland Software, Inc., IE3D Simulator, 1997.