Bionics principle is applied to frequency selective surface (FSS) design in this paper. To authenticate the method, a novel bionic and miniaturized FSS is proposed by use of a model of alternate phyllotaxis. The simulated and measured results show that the proposed FSS has a much smaller size and maintains other FSS-related performances. To study the applications of the novel bionic FSS in practice, it is used for the ground plane of an antenna array to reduce the antenna radar cross section (RCS). Compared to a reference antenna, the antenna with bionic FSS has lower RCS and favorable radiation performance. Hence, applying bionics principle to FSS design and antenna RCS reduction is proved feasible, which will serve as a good candidate for the future design of FSS and antennas with or without a requirement of RCS control.
1. Jiang, W., Y. Liu, S. X. Gong, and T. Hong, "Application of bionics in antenna radar cross section reduction," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1275-1278, 2009.
2. Liu, Y. and S. X. Gong, "A novel UWB clover-DISC monopole antenna with RCS reduction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 8-9, 1115-1121, 2008.
3. Li, W. Q., X. Y. Cao, J. Gao, and X. Yao, "Bionic antenna with low RCS for microstrip application," Modern Radar, Vol. 33, 63-66, 2011.
4. Martynyuk, E. and J. I. M. Lopez, "Frequency-selective surfaces based on shorted ring slots," Electronics Letters, Vol. 37, No. 5, 268-269, 2001.
5. Nguyen, T. K., T. A. Ho, I. Park, and H. Han, "Full-wavelength dipole antenna on a GaAs membrane covered by a frequency selective surface for a Terahertz photomixer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 441-455, 2012.
6. Kotnala, A., P. Juyal, A. Mittal, and A. De, "Investigation of cavity re°ex antenna using circular patch type FSS superstrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 42, 141-161, 2012.
7. Ramaccia, D., A. Toscano, A. Colasante, G. Bellaveglia, and R. Lo Forti, "Inductive tri-band double element FSS for space applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 87-101, 2011.
8. Kim, J.-Y., J. H. Choi, and C. W. Jung, "Band-notched planar UWB antenna using unit cells of frequency selective surfaces," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 17-18, 2291-2303, 2012.
9. Sarabandi, K. and N. Behdad, "A frequency selective surface with miniaturized elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1239-1245, 2007.
10. Li, H., B.-Z. Wang, G. Zheng, W. Shao, and L. Guo, "A reflectarray antenna backed on FSS for low RCS and high radiation performances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 145-155, 2010.
11. Hu, S., H. Chen, C. L. Law, Z. Shen L. Zhu, W. Zhang, and W. Dou, "Backscattering cross section of ultrawideband antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 70-73, 2007.
12. Ren, L.-S., Y.-C. Jiao, J.-J. Zhao, and F. Li, "RCS reduction for a FSS-backed reflectarray using a ring element," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 115-123, 2011.
13. Jia, Y., Y. Liu, S.-X. Gong, T. Hong, and D. Yu, "Printed UWB end-fire vivaldi antenna with low RCS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 11-20, 2013.
14. Costa, F., S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "A frequency selective absorbing ground plane for low-RCS microstrip antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 317-332, 2012.
15. Shang, Y. P., S. Q. Xiao, J. L. Li, and B.-Z. Wang, "An electronically controllable method for radar cross section reduction for a microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 15-30, 2012.
16. Hong, T., S.-X. Gong, W. Jiang, Y.-X. Xu, and X. Wang, "A novel ultra-wide band antenna with reduced radar cross section," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 299-308, 2009.
17. Genovesi, S., F. Costa, and A. Monorchio, "Low-profile array with reduced radar cross section by using hybrid frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2327-2335, 2012.
18. Yuan, H. W., S. X. Gong, X. Wang, and W. T. Wang, "Wideband printed dipole antenna using a novel PBG structure," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1862-1865, 2009.