This paper presents a novel approach for bandwidth enhancement and gain improvement of a microstrip patch antenna array for IEEE 802.16a 5.8 GHz Wi-MAX applications. A split ring resonator (SRR) has been designed to load the microstrip patch antenna array. The unloaded antenna array resonates at 5.8 GHz with gain of 4.3 dBi and bandwidth of 425 MHz, whereas when loaded with split ring resonator the gain approaches to 5.7 dBi and bandwidth increases to 610 MHz which corresponds to bandwidth enhancement of 3%. The electrical dimension of the patch is 0.23λ x 0.3λ.
Shyam Sundar Pattnaik,
Rudra Narayan Baral,
"SRR Inspired Microstrip Patch Antenna Array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 58, 89-96, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15052501
1. Singh, H., H. L. Sneha, and R. M. Jha, "Mutual coupling in phased arrays: A review," Hindawi International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, 348123, 2013.
2. Dandekar, K. R., H. Ling, and G. Xu, "Effect of mutual coupling on direction finding in smart antenna applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 22, 1889-1891, 2000. doi:10.1049/el:20001309
3. Ying, Z. and D. Zhang, "Study of the mutual coupling, correlation efficiency of two PIFA antennas on a small ground plane," Proc. of IEEE Antennas Propagation Society, Vol. 3B, 305-308, Washington, DC, Jul. 2005.
4. Wong, K. L., J. H. Chou, S. W. Su, and C. M. Su, "Isolation between GSM/DCS and WLAN antennas in a PDA phone," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 4, 347-352, May 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20820
5. Ismaiel, A. M. and A. B. Abdel Rahman, "A meander shaped defected ground structure (DGS) for reduction of mutual coupling between microstrip antennas," 31st National Radio Science Conference (NRSC), 21-26, Cairo, Apr. 2014.
6. Mukherjee, B., S. K. Parui, and S. Das, "Mutual coupling reduction of microstrip antenna arrays using rectangular split ring shaped defected ground structure," International Conference on Communications, Devices and Intelligent Systems (CODIS), 202-204, Kolkata, Dec. 2012.
7. Ou Yang, J., F. Yang, and Z. M. Wang, "Reducing mutual coupling of closely spaced microstrip MIMO antennas for WLAN application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 310-312, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2140310
8. Ebadi, S. and A. Semnani, "Mutual coupling reduction in waveguide-slot-array antennas using electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 3, 68-79, Jun. 2014. doi:10.1109/MAP.2014.6867683
9. Assimonis, S. D., T. V. Yioultsis, and C. S. Antonopoulos, "Design and optimization of uniplanar EBG structures for low profile antenna applications and mutual coupling reduction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4944-4949, Oct. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2210178
10. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817983
11. Minz, L. and R. Garg, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely spaced PIFAs," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 6, 392-394, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.3275
12. Ibraheam, M., A. Krauss, S. Irteza, and A. H. Matthias, "Reduction of mutual coupling in compact antenna arrays using element tilting," Proceedings of Microwave Conference (GeMIC), 1-4, Aachen, Germany, Dec. 2014.
13. Dossche, S., S. Blanch, and J. Romeu, "Three different ways to decorrelate two closely spaced monopoles for MIMO applications," IEEE Proceedings of International Conference on Wireless Communication and Applied Compuation in Electromagnetism, 849-852, Apr. 2005.
14. Liu, Z., "Suppression of the mutual coupling between microstrip antenna arrays using negative permeability metamaterial on LTCC substrate," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium Society, 1258-1259, 2013.
15. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
16. Bilotti, F., A. Toscano, L. Vegni, K. Aydin, K. M. Alici, and E. Ozbay, "Equivalent circuit models for the design of metamaterials based on artificial magnetic inclusions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 12, 2865-2873, Dec. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.909611
17. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bhal, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, UK, 2001.
18. Mohan, S. S., "Design, modeling and optimization of on-chip inductor and transformer circuits,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Stanford University, 1999.
19. Joshi, J. G., S. S. Pattnaik, and S. Devi, "Geo-textile based metamaterial loaded wearable microstrip patch antenna," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 8, No. 1, 25-33, Jan. 2013.