In this paper, an S band, 300 MHz bandwidth, and 20 kW average power klystron was developed in the Aerospace Information Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Sciences. The klystron operates at 72 kV beam voltage and 41 A beam current with peak powers of over 850 kW and efficiency of over 30% at a 2.47% RF duty cycle. The results, including simulations, design, technologies and performances of the klystron, are presented. Some problems, such as gain dip, high order mode oscillation, output window cracking, and startup time, were also discussed.
2. Ding, Y. and Y. Zhu, "Studies on broadband output circuit of high power Klystron," Proc. Int. University Conf. Electronics Radiophys. Ultra-High Frequencies, 383, St. Petersburg, Russia, 1999.
3. Delu, N. and D. Yaogen, "A ten percent bandwidth high power pulsed Klystron amplifier," J. Electronics, Vol. 5, 197, May 1983 (in Chinese).
4. Yong, W., Y.-G. Ding, P.-K. Liu, J. Zhang, S.-G. Wang, and X. Lu, "Development of an S-band Klystron with bandwidth of more than 11%," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 34, 572, 2006.
5. Wang, Y., Y. Ding, P. Liu, Z. Zhang, and J. Zhang, "Research progress of S-band broadband Klystron in IECAS," 2010 IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference, 219, Monterey, California, May 2010.
6. Zhang, Z. C., J. J. Fan, Y. W. Zhang, R. M. Wang, Y. F. Guo, F. Zhu, and C. J. Fu, "Development of a C-band klystron with a 360-MHz instantaneous bandwidth," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 57, 3485, 2010.
7. Xiu, L., Y.-L. Zhang, Y.-H. Wang, Y.-J. Tao, Q. Wang, J. Wang, X.-H. Zuo, Y. Dou, and F. Luo, "A 500 kWC-band broadband Klystron," 2008 IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference, 205, Monterey, California, April 2008.
8. Lin, F., Y. Ding, and Z. Zhang, "Simulation computation method for calculating the impedance matrix of double gap cavity of Klystron," Journal of Electronics and Information Technology, Vol. 26, 1480, 2004 (in Chinese).
9. Sandalov, A. N., "Animation of nonlinear electron-wave interaction in Klystron," RF’96, Pulse RF Sources for Linear Colliders, 8, Stanford, California, 1996.
10. Lin, F. and Y. Ding, "Criterion of absolute stability of output circuit with coupling two gap cavity of Klystron," Vacuum Electronics, Vol. 2, 10, 2004 (in Chinese).
11. Gao, D., Y. Ding, Z. Zhang, B. Shen, Z. Zhang, J. Cao, H. Gu, C. Wang, and F. Wang, "Progress of S-band high average power broadband multi-beam Klystron," 2014 IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference, 117, Monterey, California, 2014.