A dual band flexible antenna for applications at 900 and 2450 MHz is proposed in this paper. The antenna offers a compact size of 0.23λo × 0.120λo × 0.0007λo, where λo is the wavelength at the lower resonance. The antenna comprises a simple geometrical structure consisting of a W-shaped serpentine structure fed by a microstrip line, while a Defected Ground Structure (DGS) technique was utilized with a partial ground plane to achieve wide operational bandwidth. An additional capacitor was loaded in between the slots to achieve a higher resonance, thus resulting in a compact dual band antenna. Various performance parameters were analyzed, and results were compared with the measured ones. The antenna offers good performance in terms of size, bandwidth, gain, and radiation pattern and thus increases the potential of the proposed antenna for both rigid and flexible devices.
2. Usluer, M., B. Cetindere, and S. C. Basaran, "Compact implantable antenna design for MICS and ISM band biotelemetry applications," Willey Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 4, 1581-1587, 2020.
3. Naqvi, S. A. and M. S. Khan, "Design of a miniaturized frequency reconfigurable antenna for rectenna in WiMAX and ISM frequency bands," Willey Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 2, 325-330, 2018.
4. Basir, A., A. Bouazizi, M. Zada, A. Iqbal, S. Ullah, and U. Naeem, "A dual-band implantable antenna with wide-band characteristics at MICS and ISM bands," Willey Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 12, 2944-2949, 2018.
5. Hussain, N., W. A. Awan, S. I. Naqvi, A. Ghaffar, A. Zaidi, S. A. Naqvi, and X. J. Li, "A compact flexible frequency reconfigurable antenna for heterogeneous applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 173298-173307, 2020.
6. Mohamadzade, B., R. B. Simorangkir, S. Maric, A. Lalbakhsh, K. P. Esselle, and R. M. Hashmi, "Recent developments and state of the art in flexible and conformal reconfigurable antennas," Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 9, 1375, 2020.
7. Ghaffar, A., X. J. Li, W. A. Awan, and N. Hussain, "A compact dual-band antenna based on defected ground structure for ISM band applications," 24th International ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas, 1-2, Hamburg, Germany, February 2020.
8. Awan, W. A., N. Hussain, and T. T. Le, "Ultra-thin flexible fractal antenna for 2.45GHz application with wideband harmonic rejection," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 110, 152851, 2019.
9. Hassan, A., S. Ali, G. Hassan, J. Bae, and C. H. Lee, "Inkjet-printed antenna on thin PET substrate for dual band Wi-Fi communications," Springer Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 23, No. 8, 3701-3709, 2017.
10. Ahmed, S., F. A. Tahir, and H. M. Cheema, "A flexible low cost fractal-slot multiband antenna for wireless applications," IEEE 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, Lisbon, Portugal, April 2015.
11. Haerinia, M. and S. Noghanian, "A printed wearable dual-band antenna for wireless power transfer," MDPI Sensors, Vol. 19, No. 7, 1732, 2019.
12. Masihi, S., M. Panahi, A. K. Bose, D. Maddipatla, A. J. Hanson, B. B. Narakathu, and M. Z. Atashbar, "Rapid prototyping of a tunable and compact microstrip antenna by laser machining flexible copper tape," IEEE International Conference on Flexible and Printable Sensors and Systems (FLEPS), 1-3, Glasgow, UK, July 2019.
13. Zhao, Y., Y. Lv, T. Si, G. Du, M. Li, and Y. Yu, "Design of a miniaturized dual-frequency monopole antenna for applications in IoT," IEEE 6th International Conference on Systems and Informatics (ICSAI), 1051-1055, Shanghai, China, November 2019.
14. Forouzannezhad, P., A. Jafargholi, and A. Jahanbakhshi, "Multiband compact antenna for nearfield and far-field RFID and wireless portable applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 4, 525-541, 2016.
15. Kim, S. and M. M. Tentzeris, "Parylene coated waterproof washable inkjet-printed dual-band antenna on paper substrate," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 10, No. 7, 814-818, 2018.
16. Khajeh-Khalili, F., F. Haghshenas, and A. Shahriari, "Wearable dual-band antenna with harmonic suppression for application in medical communication systems," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 126, 153396, 2020.
17. Iqbal, A., I. B. Mabrouk, and M. Nedil, "Compact siw-based self-quadruplexing antenna for wearable transceivers," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 20, No. 1, 118-122, 2020.
18. Elfergani, I., A. Iqbal, C. Zebiri, A. Basir, J. Rodriguez, M. Sajedin, and S. Ullah, "Low-profile and closely spaced four-element MIMO antenna for wireless body area networks," Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 2, 258, 2020.
19. Iqbal, A., A. J. Alazemi, and N. K. Mallat, "Slot-DRA-based independent dual-band hybrid antenna for wearable biomedical devices," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 184029-184037, 2019.
20. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2015.
21. Awan, W. A., N. Hussain, S. A. Naqvi, A. Iqbal, R. Striker, D. Mitra, and B. D. Braaten, "A miniaturized wideband and multi-band on-demand reconfigurable antenna for compact and portable devices," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 122, 153266, 2020.