This paper proposes some approaches to model Ultra Wideband (UWB) antenna arrays. Based on the array factor, often stipulated as not adapted for the description of the properties of UWB arrays in the literature, an analytical expression of the beampattern is developed. The achieved results are coherent with other formulations and empiric studies proposed in the literature. Furthermore, a time-frequency modeling of UWB antenna arrays is proposed using the concept of array factor and antenna effective length.
2. Foschini, G. F. and M. J. Gans, "On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas ," Wireless Personal Communications Journal, Vol. 6, No. 3, 311-315, 1998.
3. Jensen, M. and J. Wallace, "A review of antennas and propagation for MIMO wireless communications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2810-2824, 2004.
4. Chen, C. and M. Jensen, "Secret key establishment using temporally and spatially correlated wireless channel coefficients," IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing, Vol. 10, No. 2, 205-215.
5. Federal Communications Commission (FCC), "Revision of part 15 of the commission rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems," ET Docket 98-153, FCC 02-48, First Report and Order, 2002.
6. Kaiser, T., F. Zheng, and E. Dimitrov, "An overview of ultra-wide-band systems with MIMO," Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 285-312, 2009.
7. Hong, S., K. Chung, J. Lee, S. Jung, S. S. Lee, and J. Choi, "Printed diversity antenna with stubs for UWB applications," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 5, No. 5, 1352-1356, 2008.
8. Zhang, S., Z. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Ultrawideband MIMO/diversity antennas with a tree-like structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 2009.
9. Najam, A. I., Y. Duroc, and S. Tedjini, "Design & characterization of an antenna system for UWB-MIMO communication systems," Proc. of European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2010.
10. Ciattaglia, M. and G. Marrocco, "Investigation on antenna coupling in pulsed arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 3, 835-843, 2006.
11. Hussain, M. and A. Al-Zayed, "Aperture-sparsity analysis of ultrawideband two-dimensional focused array," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 7, 1908-1918, 2008.
12. Shlivinski, A., "Kinematic properties of short-pulsed sparse transmitting arrays," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 115, 11-33, 2011.
13. Sipal, V., D. Edwards, and B. Allen, "Descriptor choice for UWB antenna arrays," Proc. of. European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2012.
14. Sipal, V., D. Edwards, and B. Allen, "Bandwidth requirement for suppression of grating lobes in ultrawideband antenna arrays," Proc. of International Conference on Ultra-Wideband, 236-240, 2012.
15. Farr, E. G. and C. E. Baum, "Extending the definitions of antenna gains and radiation pattern into the time domain ," Sensor and Simulation Note 350, 1992.
16. Wiesbeck, W., G. Adamiuk, and C. Sturm, "Basic properties and design principles of UWB antennas," Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 372-385, 2009.
17. Duroc, Y., A. Ghiotto, T. P. Vuong, and S. Tedjini, "On the characterization of UWB antennas," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 2, 258-269, 2009.
18. Balanis, C., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley-Blackwell, 2005.
19. Duroc, Y., A. Ghiotto, T. P. Vuong, and S. Tedjini, "UWB antennas: Systems with transfer function and impulse response," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1449-1451, 2007.
20. Orfanidis, S. F., "Electromagnetic Waves and Antennas,", 2010.
21. Baum, C. E., "Time domain characterization of antennas with TEM feeds," Sensor and Simulation Notes, Note 426, 1998.
22. Shlivinski, A., E. Heyman, and R. Kastner, "Antenna characterization in the time domain," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 7, 1140-1147, 1997.
23. Duroc, Y., "On the system modeling of antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 21, 69-85, 2010.