A new mutual coupling compensation method for wideband adaptive arrays is proposed. The new method is developed by combining the element pattern reconstruction method and the cubic Hermit interpolation method to achieve wideband mutual coupling compensation. For the employment of this method, mutual coupling matrices at some frequencies obtained by element pattern reconstruction method are needed and stored. By employing the cubic Hermit interpolation method, all entries of mutual coupling matrix for any frequency within the entire frequency band can be obtained accurately and efficiently. A uniform circular array with eight wideband dipole antennas is designed to verify the validity and effectiveness of the proposed wideband compensation method by numerical examples.
2. Hui, H. T., "Reducing the mutual coupling effect in adaptive nulling using a re-defined mutual impedance," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 5, 178-180, 2002.
3. Edwin Lau, C. K., R. S. Adve, and T. K. Sarkar, "Minimum norm mutual coupling compensation with applications in direction of arrival estimation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 8, 2034-2041, 2004.
4. Hui, H. T., "A practical approach to compensate for the mutual coupling effect in an adaptive dipole array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1262-1269, 2004.
5. Su, T., K. Dandekar, and H. Ling, "Simulation of mutual coupling effect in circular arrays for direction-finding application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 26, No. 5, 331-336, 2000.
6. Dandekar, K., H. Ling, and G. Xu, "Experimental study of mutual coupling compensation in smart antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 1, No. 3, 480-487, 2002.
7. Lindmark, B., "Comparison of mutual coupling compensation to dummy columns in adaptive antenna systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1332-1336, 2005.
8. Yuan, Q., Q. Chen, and K. Sawaya, "Accurate DOA estimation using array antenna with arbitrary geometry," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1352-1357, 2005.
9. Huang, Q., H. Zhou, J. Bao, and X. Shi, "Accurate calibration of mutual coupling for conformal antenna arrays," Electronic Letters, Vol. 49, No. 23, 1418-1420, Nov. 2013.
10. Huang, Q., et al., "Accurate DOA estimations using microstrip adaptive arrays in the presence of mutual coupling effect," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2013.
11. Huang, Q., H. Zhou, J. Bao, and X. Shi, "Mutual coupling calibration for microstrip antenna arrays via element pattern reconstruction method," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 51-54, Jan. 2014.
12. Pintelon, R., P. Guillaume, Y. Rolain, J. Schoukens, and H. van Hamme, "Parametric identification of transfer functions in the frequency domain --- A survey," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 39, No. 11, 2245-2260, 1994.
13. Levy, E. C., "Complex-curve fitting," IRE Transactions on Automatic Control, 37-43, 1959.
14. Wang, B. H. and H. T. Hui, "Wideband mutual coupling compensation for receiving antenna arrays using the system identification method," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 2, 184-191, 2011.
15. Huang, Q., F. Wei, L. Yuan, H. Zhou, and X. Shi, "A new wideband mutual coupling compensation method for adaptive arrays based on element pattern reconstruction," International Journal of Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 2014, article ID 386920, Jan. 2014.
16. Fritsch, F. N. and R. E. Carlson, "Monotone piecewise cubic interpolation," SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, Vol. 17, No. 2, 238-246, 1980.
17. Eisenstat, S. C., K. R. Jackson, and J. W. Lewis, "The order of monotone piecewise cubic interpolation," SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, Vol. 22, No. 6, 1220-1237, 1985.