The effects of anisotropic turbulence on the wander and spreading of Gaussian-Schell model beams propagating in non-Kolmogorov marine-atmospheric channel are investigated. Expressions for beam wander and long-term beam spreading are derived in all conditions of marine-atmospheric turbulence. Our results indicate that the beam wander and spreading of Gaussian-Schell model beams are lower in the anisotropic turbulence than the beam in isotropic turbulence. This model can be evaluated ship-to-ship/shore optical laser communication system performance.
2. Andrews, L. and R. L. Phillips, Laser Beam Propagation Through Random Media, SPIE, Bellingham, WA, 2005.
3. Yura, H. T. and R. A. Fields, "Level crossing statistics for optical beam wander in a turbulent atmosphere with applications to ground-to-space laser communications," Appl. Opt., Vol. 50, 2877-2885, 2011.
4. Sandalidis, H. G., "Performance of a laser earth-to-satellite link over turbulence and beam wander using the modulated gamma-gamma irradiance distribution," Appl. Opt., Vol. 50, 952-961, 2011.
5. Rodriguez-Gomez, A., F. Dios, J. A. Rubio, and A. Comeron, "Temporal statistics of the beam-wander contribution to scintillation in ground-to-satellite optical links: An analytical approach," Appl. Opt., Vol. 44, 4574-4580, 2005.
6. Andrews, L. C., R. L. Phillips, R. J. Sasiela, and R. R. Parenti, "Strehl ratio and scintillation theory for uplink Gaussian-beam waves: beam wander effects," Opt. Eng., Vol. 45, 921-932, 2006.
7. Ma, J., Y. Jiang, L. Tan, S. Yu, and W. Du, "Influence of beam wander on bit-error rate in a ground-to-satellite laser uplink communication system," Opt. Lett., Vol. 33, 2611-2613, 2008.
8. Guo, H., B. Luo, Y. Ren, S. Zhao, and A. Dang, "Influence of beam wander on uplink of ground-to-satellite laser communication and optimization for transmitter beam radius," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, 1977-1979, 2010.
9. Cui, L., "Analysis of marine atmospheric turbulence effects on infrared imaging system by angle of arrival fluctuations," Infrared Phys. Technol., Vol. 68, 28-34, 2015.
10. Toselli, I., B. Agrawal, and S. Restaino, "Gaussian beam propagation in maritime atmospheric turbulence: long term beam spread and beam wander analysis," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 7814, 2010.
11. Cui, L. and L. Cao, "Theoretical expressions of long term beam spread and beam wander for Gaussian wave propagating through generalized atmospheric turbulence," Optik, Vol. 126, 4704-4707, 2015.
12. Gurvich, A. S. and A. I. Kon, "The backscattering from anisotropic turbulent irregularities," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 6, 107-118, 1992.
13. Gurvich, A. S. and A. I. Kon, "Aspect sensitivity of radar returns from anisotropic turbulent irregularities," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 7, 1343-1353, 1993.
14. Shchepakina, E. and O. Korotkova, "Second-order statistics of stochastic electro-magnetic beams propagating through non-Kolmogorov turbulence," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, 10650-10658, 2010.
15. Korotkova, O. and E. Shchepakina, "Color changes in stochastic light fields propagating in non-Kolmogorov turbulence," Opt. Lett., Vol. 25, 3772-3774, 2010.
16. Yao, M., I. Toselli, and O. Korotkova, "Propagation of electromagnetic stochastic beams in anisotropic turbulence," Opt. Express, Vol. 22, 31608-31619, 2014.
17. Grayshan, K. J., F. S. Vetelino, and C. Y. Young, "A marine atmospheric spectrum for laser propagation," Waves in Random and Complex Media, Vol. 18, 173-184, 2008.
18. Konar, S. and S. Jana, "Linear and nonlinear propagation of sinh-Gaussian pulses in dispersive media possessing Kerr nonlinearity," Opt. Commun., Vol. 236, 7-20, 2004.
19. Jana, S. and S. Konar, "Tunable spectral switching in the far field with a chirped cosh-Gaussian pulse," Opt. Commun., Vol. 267, 24-31, 2006.
20. Du, W., J. Yang, Z. Yao, J. Lu, D. Liu, and Q. Cui, "Wander of a Gaussian-beam wave propagated through a non-kolmogorov turbulent atmosphere," J. Russ. Laser Res., Vol. 35, 416-423, 2014.
21. Si, C. and Y. Zhang, "Beam wander of quantization beam in a non-Kolmogorov turbulent atmosphere," Optik, Vol. 124, 1175-1178, 2013.
22. Wang, Y., C. Chen, H. Chen, and Y. Zhang, "Aperture averaging beam-wander of multi-Schell quantization beam in a turbulent atmosphere," Optik, Vol. 125, 3224-3227, 2014.
23. Toselli, I., B. Agrawal, and S. Restaino, "Light propagation through anisotropic turbulence," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 28, 483-488, 2011.
24. Tomohiro, S., D. Aristide, and W. Email, "Directionality of Gaussian Schell-model beams propagating in atmospheric turbulence," Opt. Lett., Vol. 28, 610-612, 2003.
25. Wu, G., H. Guo, S. Yu, and B. Luo, "Spreading and direction of Gaussian-Schell model beam through a non-Kolmogorov turbulence," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, 715-717, 2010.