This article takes account of the radiation feature of rivers in synthetic aperture radar (SAR) images and proposes a novel automatic approach to detect highway bridges by combining statistical and topology features. The proposed method consists of two steps. In the river-extraction stage, the classification techniques are applied to water extraction according to the statistical and gray-leveled features. In the bridge-extraction stage, bridges are then detected in this binary image by using a topology-based approach. Experimental results show that the proposed method can be implemented with high-precision highway-bridge extraction, feature analysis, and bridge recognition.
2. Qin, F., S. Gao, Q. Luo, C. Mao, C. Gu, G. Wei, J. Xu, J. Li, C. Wu, K. Zheng, and S. Zheng, "A simple low-cost shared-aperture dual-band dual-polarized high-gain antenna for synthetic aperture radars," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 7, 2914-2922, 2016.
3. Lv, W., W. Yu, J. Wang, and K. Wang, "Automatic bridge detection in SAR images based on fuzzy support vector machine and distance space," IEEE CIE Int. Conf. Radar, Vol. 2, 1847-1849, 2011.
4. Zhang, J. and G. Sun, "Recognition of bridge over water in remote sensing image using discrete hopfield neural network," IEEE Int. Conf. Transportation, Mechanical, and Electrical Engineering, 439-442, 2011.
5. Song, W. Y., S. H. Rho, and Y. K. Kwag, "Automatic bridge detection scheme using CFAR detector in SAR images," Proc. Int. Asia-Pacific Conf. on Synthetic Aperture Radar, 1-4, 2011.
6. Xiong, W., J. Zhong, and L. Cao, "An approach of bridge detection over water in high resolution SAR image," IET Int. Radar Conf., Vol. 5, 1-4, 2013.
7. Yin, D. and R. Zhang, "Research on the recognition method of bridge target in SAR image," IEEE Int. Conf. Comput. Inf. Technol., 1403-1406, 2010.
8. Wu, T., Q. Ren, X. Chen, L. Niu, and X. Ruan, "Highway bridge detection based on PCA fusion in airborne multiband high resolution SAR images," Int. Symposium on Image and Data Fusion, 1-4, 2011.
9. Zhu, H., C. Li, L. Zhang, and J. Shen, "River channel extraction from SAR images by combining gray and morphological features," Circuits Systems Signal Process., Vol. 34, No. 7, 2271-2286, 2015.
10. Carson, C., S. Belongie, H. Greenspan, and J. Malik, "Blobworld: Image segmentation using expectation-maximization and its application to image querying," IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., Vol. 24, No. 8, 1026-1038, 2002.
11. Nguyen, T. M. and Q. M. Wu, "Gaussian-mixture-model-based spatial neighborhood relationships for pixel labeling problem," IEEE Trans. Syst., Man, Cybern. B, Cybern., Vol. 42, No. 1, 193-202, 2012.
12. Kwon, O., "Single image dehazing based on hidden Markov random field and expectation-maximisation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 20, 1442-1444, 2014.
13. Chen, Q., L. Zhao, J. Lu, G. Kuang, N. Wang, and Y. Jiang, "Modified two-dimensional Otsu image segmentation algorithm and fast realisation," IET Image Process., Vol. 6, No. 4, 426-433, 2012.
14. Fabbrini, L., M. Greco, M. Messina, and G. Pinelli, "Improved edge enhancing diffusion filter for speckle-corrupted images," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 11, No. 1, 119-123, 2014.
15. Yang, M. and G. Zhang, "A novel ship detection method of SAR images based on nonlinear diffusion filtering and Gaussian curvature," Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 7, No. 3, 211-219, 2016.
16. Chaudhuri, D. and A. Samal, "An automatic bridge detection technique for multispectral images," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 46, No. 9, 2720-2727, 2008.
17. Hedman, K., U. Stilla, G. Lisini, and P. Gamba, "Road network extraction in VHR SAR images of urban and suburban area by means of class-aided feature-level fusion," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 3, 1294-1296, 2010.
18. He, C., Z. Liao, F. Yang, X. Deng, and M. Liao, "Road extraction from SAR imagery based on multiscale geometric analysis of detector responses," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Appl. Earth Observ., Vol. 5, No. 5, 1373-1382, 2012.
19. Lu, P., K. Du, W. Yu, R. Wang, Y. Deng, and T. Balz, "A new region growing-based method for road network extraction and its application on different resolution SAR images," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Appl. Earth Observ., Vol. 7, No. 12, 4772-4783, 2014.
20. Popescu, A. A., I. Gavat, and M. Datcu, "Contextual descriptors for scene classes in very high resolution SAR images," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 9, No. 1, 80-84, 2012.