This paper proposes a two-dimensional (2-D) inverse synthetic aperture radar (ISAR) imaging method with nonuniformly obtained angle samples. A one-dimensional (1-D) radar image, a range profile, is obtained using frequency samples within a given bandwidth. 2-D ISAR images are then obtained by acquiring the Doppler spectrum using range profiles obtained from multiple observation angles having a constant interval. However, when ISAR images are obtained by applying the range-Doppler imaging method for a target scattered signal with nonuniform angle samples, a clear image cannot be obtained. In this paper, we propose a method to generate a covariance matrix from a nonuniform angle sample and obtain an ISAR image based on the multiple signal characterization (MUSIC) technique. The proposed method can be applied to the target scattering signal using a search radar, which observes target with nonuniform aspect angles. We present a scattering signal model of a target for the search radar and provide ISAR images obtained by applying the proposed method to simulated and measured data, respectively. Results reveal that the proposed method improves image quality and reduces computation time compared to the conventional method.
2. Li, H. J. and S. H. Yang, "Using range pro¯les as feature vectors to identify aerospace objects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 3, 261-268, 1993.
3. Lee, J. H. and H. T. Kim, "Radar target discrimination using transient response reconstruction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 5, 655-669, 2005.
4. Chen, C. C. and H. C. Andrews, "Target-motion-induced radar imaging," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 16, 2-14, 1980.
5. Chen, V. C. and S. Qian, "Joint time-frequency transform for radar range-Doppler imaging," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic System, Vol. 34, No. 2, 486-499, 1998.
6. Kim, K. T., D. K. Seo, and H. T. Kim, "Efficient radar target recognition using the MUSIC algorithm and invariant features," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 3, 325-327, 2002.
7. Chen, V. C. and H. Ling, Time-frequency Transforms for Radar Imaging and Signal Analysis, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2002.
8. Donoho, D. L., "Compressed sensing," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1289-1306, 2006.
9. Zhang, L., M. Xing, C. W. Qiu, J. Li, and Z. Bao, "Achieving higher resolution ISAR imaging with limited pulses via compressed sampling," IEEE Geoscience and Remoted Sensing Letters, Vol. 6, No. 3, 567-571, 2009.
10. Wang, B., S. Zhang, and W. Q. Wang, "Bayesian inverse synthetic aperture radar imaging by exploiting sparse probing frequencies," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1698-1701, 2015.
11. Hou, Q., Y. Liu, and Z. Chen, "Reducing micro-Doppler effect in compressed sensing ISAR imaging for aircraft using limited pulses," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 12, 937-939, 2015.
12. Khwaja, A. S. and X. P. Zhang, "Compressed sensing ISAR reconstruction in the presence of rotational acceleration," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. 7, No. 7, 2957-2970, 2014.
13. Karabayir, O., O. M. Yucedag, S. M. Yucedag, and S. Kent, "Performance analysis of compressive ISAR imaging for complex targets," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 10, 1236-1245, 2014.
14. Thakre, A., M. Haardt, and K. Giridhar, "Single snapshot spatial smoothing with improved effective array aperture," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 16, No. 6, 505-508, 2009.
15. Doron, M. A. and E. Doron, "Wavefield modeling and array processing, Part 1 - Spatial sampling," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 10, 2549-2559, 1994.
16. Belloni, F., A. Richter, and V. Koivunen, "DoA estimation via manifold separation for arbitrary array structures," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 55, No. 10, 4800-4810, 2007.
17. Potter, L. C., D. M. Chiang, R. Carriere, and M. J. Gerry, "A GTD-based parametric model for radar scattering," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 43, No. 10, 1058-1067, 1995.
18. Friedlander, B. and A. J. Weiss, "Direction finding using spatial smoothing with interpolated arrays," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronics System, Vol. 28, No. 2, 574-587, 1992.
19. Rubsamen, M. and A. B. Gershman, "Direction-of-Arrival estimation for nonuniform sensor arrays: From manifold separation to Fourier domain MUSIC methods," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 57, No. 2, 588-599, 2009.
20. Schmidt, R., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, 1986.