A three layered low profile dodecagon shaped band stop frequency selective surface (FSS) is presented in this paper for X band rejection applications. The three layers are placed in a manner which is complement to each other. The low profile three layered FSS with unit cell dimensions on the order of 0.2λ0x0.2λ0 (at lower center frequency of 8.2 GHz) with overall thickness of three layers including air gap of 5.2 mm is presented. For experimental verification, a three layered FSS has been fabricated and measured. Simulation results show that the designed three layered FSS can provide a stopband from 8 GHz to 12.5 GHz with two transmission zeros of 8.2 GHz and 10.2 GHz with a fractional bandwidth of 45%. The complete design and equivalent circuit model (ECM) of the three layered FSS are presented in this paper.
2. Vardaxoglou, J. C., Analysis and Design, Taunton, UK, 1997.
3. Azemi, S. N., K. Ghorbani, and W. S. T. Rowe, "3D frequency selective surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 29, 191-203, 2012.
4. Kurra, L., M. P. Abegaonkar, A. Basu, and S. K. Koul, "FSS properties of a uniplanar EBG and its application in directivity enhancement of a microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1606-1609, 2016.
5. Smith, T., U. Gothelf, O. S. Kim, and O. Breinbjerg, "An FSS-backed 20/30 GHz circularly polarized reflectarray for a shared aperture L-and Ka-band satellite communication antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 2, 661-668, 2014.
6. Akbari, M., H. A. Ghalyon, M. Farahani, A. R. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Spatially decoupling of CP antennas based on FSS for 30-GHz MIMO systems," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 6527-6537, 2017.
7. Mias, C., "Frequency selective surfaces loaded with surface-mount reactive components," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 724-726, 2003.
8. Batchelor, J. C., E. A. Parker, J. A. Miller, V. Sanchez-Romaguera, and S. G. Yeates, "Inkjet printing of frequency selective surfaces," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 1, 7-8, 2009.
9. Whittow, W. G., Y. Li, R. Torah, K. Yang, S. Beeby, and J. Tudor, "Printed frequency selective surfaces on textiles," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 13, 916-917, 2014.
10. Whittow, W. G., Y. Li, R. Torah, K. Yang, S. Beeby, and J. Tudor, "Printed frequency selective surfaces on textiles," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 13, 916-917, 2014.
11. Chaharmir, M. R., J. Shaker, and H. Legay, "Dual-band Ka/X reflectarray with broadband loop elements," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 2, 225-231, 2010.
12. Ferreira, D., I. Cui˜nas, R. F. Caldeirinha, and T. R. Fernandes, "Dual-band single-layer quarter ring frequency selective surface for Wi-Fi applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 1, 435-441, 2016.
13. Sivasamy, R., L. Murugasamy, M. Kanagasabai, E. F. Sundarsingh, and M. G. N. Alsath, "A low-profile paper substrate-based dual-band FSS for GSM shielding," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 58, No. 2, 611-614, 2016.
14. Werner, D. H. and D. Lee, "A design approach for dual-polarized multiband frequency selective surfaces using fractal elements," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2000, Vol. 3, 1692-1695, IEEE, Jul. 2000.
15. Li, D., Y. J. Xie, P. Wang, and R. Yang, "Applications of split-ring resonances on multi-band frequency selective surfaces," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1551-1563, 2007.
16. Rashid, A. K. and Z. Shen, "A novel band-reject frequency selective surface with pseudo-elliptic response ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 1, 1220-1226, 2010.
17. Azemi, S. N., K. Ghorbani, and W. S. Rowe, "A reconfigurable FSS using a spring resonator element," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 781-784, 2013.
18. Majidzadeh, M., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Novel single layer reconfigurable frequency selective surface with UWB and multi-band modes of operation," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 2, 151-161, 2016.
19. Encinar, J. A. and J. A. Zornoza, "Broadband design of three-layer printed reflectarrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1662-1664, 2003.
20. Chatterjee, A. and S. K. Parui, "A dual layer frequency selective surface reflector for wideband applications," Radioengineering, Vol. 25, No. 1, 67-72, 2016.
21. Al-Joumayly, M. A. and N. Behdad, "A generalized method for synthesizing low-profile, band-pass frequency selective surfaces with non-resonant constituting elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 12, 4033-4041, 2010.
22. Martinez-Lopez, L., J. Rodriguez-Cuevas, J. I. Martinez-Lopez, and A. E. Martynyuk, "A multilayer circular polarizer based on bisected split-ring frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 153-156, 2014.
23. Li, Y., L. Li, Y. Zhang, and C. Zhao, "Design and synthesis of multilayer frequency selective surface based on antenna-filter-antenna using Minkowski fractal structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 1, 133-141, 2015.
24. Chaharmir, M. R. and J. Shaker, "Design of a multilayer X-/Ka-band frequency-selective surface-backed reflectarray for satellite applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 1, 1255-1262, 2015.
25. Tao, K., B. Li, Y. Tang, and Q.Wu, "Multi-layer tri-band frequency selective surface using stepped-and uniform-impedance resonators," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 8, 583-585, 2016.
26. Omar, A. A. and Z. Shen, "Thin bandstop frequency-selective structures based on loop resonator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 7, 2298-2309, 2017.
27. Fallah, M. and M. Hashem Vadjed-Samiei, "Designing a bandpass frequency selective surface based on an analytical approach using hexagonal patch-strip unit cell," Electromagnetics, Vol. 35, No. 1, 25-39, 2015.
28. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Handbook, No. 21, IET, 1951.