This paper presents a method for rapid microwave imaging of traumatic brain injury based on scattering parameters. The algorithm uses the integer order Bessel function and Born approximation, which converts nonlinear inverse scattering problem into linear problem. After truncated singular value decomposition, imaging can be performed without iteration. Simulations and experiments show that the algorithm can not only reduce the amount of calculation for fast imaging, but also accurately image a brain hematoma or foreign body.
2. Wintermark, M., P. C. Sanelli, and Y. Anzai, "Imaging evidence and recommendations for traumatic brain injury: Conventional neuroimaging techniques," Journal of the American College of Radiology, Vol. 12, No. 2, 1-14, 2015.
3. Heit, J. J., M. Iv, and M. Wintermark, "Imaging of intracranial hemorrhage," Journal of Stroke, Vol. 19, No. 1, 11, 2017.
4. Mohammed, B. J., A. M. Abbosh, and D. Ireland, "Circular antenna array for brain imaging systems," Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 1-2, 2012.
5. Ireland, D. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Microwave head imaging for stroke detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 21, 163-175, 2011.
6. Zamani, A., A. T. Mobashsher, B. J. Mohammed, and A. M. Abbosh, "Microwave imaging using frequency domain method for brain stroke detection," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series (IMWS-Bio), 1-3, 2014.
7. Mohammed, B. J., A. M. Abbosh, and S. Mustafa, "Microwave system for head imaging," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 63, No. 1, 117-123, 2014.
8. Zamani, A., "Fast frequency-based multistatic microwave imaging algorithm with application to brain injury detection," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 64, No. 2, 653-662, 2016.
9. Mobashsher, A. T. and A. Abbosh, "Design of compact cross-fed three-dimensional slotloaded antenna and its application in wideband head imaging system," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1856-1860, 2016.
10. Mohammed, B. J., K. Bialkowski, and S. Mustafa, "Investigation of noise effect on image quality in microwave head imaging systems," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 3, 200-205, 2015.
11. Zamani, A. and A. M. Abbosh, "Fast multi-static technique for microwave brain imaging," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 536-537, 2015.
12. Fedeli, A., V. Schenone, A. Randazzo, M. Pastorino, T. Henriksson, and S. Semenov, "Nonlinear S-parameters inversion for stroke imaging," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 68, 1760-1771, 2020.
13. Semenov, S. Y. and D. R. Corfield, "Microwave tomography for brain imaging: Feasibility assessment for stroke detection," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-8, 2008.
14. Dilman, I., U. Yıldırm, S. Coşğun, S. Doğu, M. Çayören, and I. Akduman, "Feasibility of brain stroke imaging with microwaves," 2016 IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics (APACE), 334-338, 2016.
15. Tobon Vasquez, J. A., R. Scapaticci, G. Turvani, G. Bellizzi, D. O. Rodriguez-Duarte, N. Joachimowicz, B. Duchêne, E. Tedeschi, M. R. Casu, L. Crocco, and F. Vipiana, "A prototype microwave system for 3D brain stroke imaging," Sensors, Vol. 20, 2607, 2020.
16. Nikolova, N. K., "Microwave imaging for breast cancer," Microwave Magazine IEEE, Vol. 12, No. 7, 78-94, 2011.
17. Persson, M., A. Fhager, and H. D. Trefná, "Microwave-based stroke diagnosis making global prehospital thrombolytic treatment possible," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 61, No. 11, 2806-2817, 2014.
18. Park, W. K., "Real-time microwave imaging of unknown anomalies via scattering matrix," Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 118, 658-674, 2019.
19. Haynes, M., J. Stang, and M. Moghaddam, "Microwave breast imaging system prototype with integrated numerical characterization," International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, Vol. 2012, 1-18, 2012.
20. Haynes, M. and M. Moghaddam, "Vector Green's function for S-parameter measurements of the electromagnetic volume integral equation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1400-1413, 2012.
21. Haynes, M., J. Stang, and M. Moghaddam, "Real-time microwave imaging of differential temperature for thermal therapy monitoring," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 61, No. 6, 1787-1797, 2014.