Transverse electromagnetic (TEM) cell is usually used to evaluate the electromagnetic immunity and electromagnetic radiation disturbance of the equipment under test (EUT) and integrated circuit (IC). Affected by the structure of the TEM cell, high-order modes and reflection will be generated in the high frequency range, which will limit the higher frequency applications of the TEM cell. In this paper, the TEM cell specified in IEC61967-2 standard is improved by adopting several methods, including segmented impedance matching, slitting outer conductor, slotting inner conductor, adding absorbing materials and adding an external shielding box. The results show that the improved TEM cell voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) is less than 1.2 in 0-3.4 GHz, less than 1.3 in 0-3.75 GHz, and less than 1.5 in 0-4.06 GHz; at the same time, the S-parameter characteristics are better.
1. Song, C. J., X. Y. Feng, and F. Dai, "TEM cell frequency expansion method based on waveguide slot antenna,", Vol. 44, No. 302(04), 136-142. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2008.919028
2. International Electrotechnical Commission, "IEC61967-2 Integrated circuits-Measurement of electromagnetic emissions, 150 kHz to 1 GHz - Part 2: Measurement of radiated emissions, TEM-cell and wideband TEM-cell method,", Geneva, Switzerland, 2005.
3. Deng, S., et al., "An experimental investigation of higher order mode suppression in TEM cells," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 50, No. 2, 416-419, 2008.
4. Koohestani, M., M. Ramdani, and R. Perdriau, "Impact of mode propagation on radiated immunity characterization in commonly used TEM cells," 2019 12th International Workshop on the Electromagnetic Compatibility of Integrated Circuits (EMC Compo), 6-8, 2019.
5. Luo, W., Y. L. Guan, and J. Li, "Three new strip-line TEM cells in EMC test," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Electronic Information and Communication Technology (ICEICT), 497-500, 2016. doi:10.1109/TEMC.1978.303664
6. Arezoomand, M., M. K. Meybodi, and N. Noori, "Design of a TEM cell using both multi-step and piecewise linear tapering," 2016 8th International Symposium on Telecommunications (IST), 2016. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2008.921010
7. Crawford, M. L., J. L. Workman, and C. J. Thomas, "Expanding the bandwidth of TEM cells for EMC measurements," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 20, No. 3, 368-375, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1976.1128915
8. Walter, A. J. and C. Leat, "Control of the TE111 resonance in an asymmetric TEM cell," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 50, No. 2, 431-434, 2008.
9. Tippet, J. C. and D. C. Chang, "A new approximation for the capacitance of a rectangular-coaxial-strip transmission line," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 14, No. 9, 602-604, 1976.
10. Chen, J., F. Y. Wan, and P. Fan, "Design of novel broadband TEM cell," Journal of Hefei University of Technology (Natural Science), Vol. 39, No. 7, 938-942, 2016.
11. Su, D. L., et al., Electromagnetic Field and Electromagnetic Wave, 349-356, Higher Education Press, Beijing, 2008.
12. Quan, S. H., The Basis of Microwave Technology, 155-157, Higher Education Press, Beijing, 2011.