This research consists on a ground plane modification using slots of a PIFA (Planar Inverted F Antenna) handset antenna with the objective to facilitate the integration of the feeding transmission line which connects the antenna with the RF-module. Through this technique it is possible to obtain a multiband antenna while keeping the same antenna geometry, small volume and simplifying the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) design. Numerical simulation using MoM is used to understand the effect of the slots on the groundplane. Several prototypes have been built to validate the present technique.
"Multiband Handset Antenna Using Slots on the Ground Plane: Considerations to Facilitate the Integration of the Feeding Transmission Line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 7, 95-109, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09030605
1. Monga, R., "Strategic analysis of the North American antenna market for mobile devices," Frost & Sullivan. Antennas Systems 2006, Washington, USA, 2006.
2. Vainikainen, P., J. Ollikainen, O. Kivekäs, and I. Kelander, "Resonator-based analysis of the combination of mobile handset antenna and chassis ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 10, 1433-1444, October 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.802085
3. Hossa, R., A. Byndas, and M. E. Bialkowski, "Improvement of compact terminal antenna performance by incorporating openend slots in ground plane," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 6, June 2004.
4. Abedin, M. F. and M. Ali, "Modifying the ground plane and its effect on planar inverted-F antennas (PIFAs) for mobile phone handsets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 2003.
5. Patent appl. WO 03/023900.
6. Anguera, J., I. Sanz, A. Sanz, D. Gala, A. Condes, C. Puente, and J. Soler, "Enhancing the performance of the handset antennas by means of groundplane design," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials (iWAT 2006), New York, USA, March 2006.
7. Anguera, J., A. Cabedo, C. Picher, I. Sanz, M. Ribó, and C. Puente, "Multiband handset antennas by means of ground plane modification," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, June 2007.
8. Cabedo, A., J. Anguera, C. Picher, M. Ribó, and C. Puente, "Multi-band handset antenna combining a PIFA, slots, and ground plane modes ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, accepted.
9. Wong, K. L., "Planar antennas for wireless communications," Wiley Series in Microwave and Optical Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2003. doi:10.1002/0471221112
10. Salonen, P., "Effect of groundplane size on radiation efficiency and bandwidth of dual-band U-PIFA," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 70-73, June 2003.
11. Kahng, S., "The rectangular power-bus with slits GA-optimized to damp resonances," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1892-1895, June 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.898642
12. Patent appl. WO 01/22528.
13. Anguera, J., C. Puente, and C. Borja, "A procedure to design stacked microstrip patch antenna based on a simple network model," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 30, No. 3, 149-151, August 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1248
14. Anguera, J., "Fractal and broad-band techniques on miniature, multifrequency, and high-directivity microstrip patch antennas,", Ph.D. Dissertation at Universitat Polit`ecnica de Catalunya, July 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.1248