This paper provides a reliable dielectric measurement theory of the open resonator for non-planar objects such as convex-concave objects. It is the first time that the complete analytical formulas of the complex permittivity are presented by means of the second-order theory of the open resonator and field matching method. Furthermore, a measurement system is designed and built at Ka band, and the consistency of the results between planar and non-planar samples verifies the accuracy of the new theory. Finally, the experimental error analysis is investigated.
Yong Feng Gui,
"Open Resonator Technique of Non-Planar Dielectric Objects at Millimeter Wavelengths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 9, 185-197, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09071804
1. Weir, W. B., "Automatic measurement of complex dielectric constant and permeability at microwave frequencies," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, No. 1, 33-36, Jan. 1974. doi:10.1109/PROC.1974.9382
2. Boughriet, A. H., C. Legrand, and A. Chapoton, "Noniterative stable transmission/reflection method for low-loss material complex permittivity determination," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 1, 52-57, 1997. doi:10.1109/22.552032
3. Cook, R. J., "Microwave cavity methods," High Frequency Dielectric Measurement, J. Chamberlain and G. W. Chantry (eds.), I. P. C. Science and Technology Press, London, England, 1973.
4. Cullen, A. L. and P. K. Yu, "The accurate measurement of permittivity by means of an open resonator," Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A, Vol. 325, 493-509, 1971. doi:10.1098/rspa.1971.0181
5. Zoughi, R., Microwave Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, 2000.
6. Mosig, J. R., J. E. Besson, M. Gex-farby, et al. "Reflection of an open-ended coaxial line and application to nondestructive measurement of materials," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 30, No. 1, 46-51, 1981.
7. Decreton, M. C. and F. E. Gardiol, "Simple nondestructive method for measurement of complex permittivity," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 23, No. 6, 434-438, Dec. 1974. doi:10.1109/TIM.1974.4314329
8. Bakhtiari, S., S. Ganchev, and R. Zoughi, "Open-ended rectangular waveguide for nondestructive thickness measurement and variation detection of lossy dielectric slabs backed by a conducting plate," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 42, No. 1, 19-24, Feb. 1993. doi:10.1109/19.206673
9. Ghodgaonkar, D. K., V. V. Varadan, and V. K. Varadan, "A free-space method for measurement of dielectric constants and loss tangents at microwave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 37, 789-793, 1989. doi:10.1109/19.32194
10. Varadan, V. V. and V. K. Varadan, "In situ microwave characterization of nonplanar dielectric objects," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 3, 388-394, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.826837
11. Yu, P. K. and A. L. Cullen, "Measurement of permittivity by means of an open resonator: I. theoretical," Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A, Vol. 380, 49-71, 1982.
12. Jones, R. G., "Precise dielectric measurements at 35 GHz using an open microwave resonator," Proc. Inst. Elec. Eng., Vol. 123, 285-290, Apr. 1976.
13. Hirvonen, T. M., P. Vainikainen, A. Lozowski, and A. V. Raisanen, "Measurement of dielectrics at 100 GHz with an open resonator connected to a network analyzer," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 45, 780-786, Aug. 1996. doi:10.1109/19.516996
14. Chan, W. F. P. and B. Chambers, "Measurement of nonplanar dielectric samples using an open resonator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 35, 1429-1434, Dec. 1987. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1987.1133871
15. Cullen, A. L. and P. K. Yu, "Complex source-point theory of the electromagnetic open resonator," Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Vol. 366, No. 1725, 155-171, 1979. doi:10.1098/rspa.1979.0045
16. Hodgson, N. and H. Weber, Optical Resonators, Springer-Verlag, London, 1997.
17. Deleniv, A. N. and S. Gevorgian, "Open resonator technique for measuring multilayered dielectric plates," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2908-2916, Sep. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.854242
18. Gui, Y. F., W. B. Dou, P. G. Su, and K. Yin, "The improvement of the open resonator technique for precise dielectric measurement at millimeter wavelengths," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Accepted.
19. Gui, Y. F., W. B. Dou, K. Yin, and P. G. Su, "Open resonator system for automatic and precise dielectric measurement at millimeter wavelengths," Int. J. Infrared Milli. Waves, Vol. 29, 782-791, 2008. doi:10.1007/s10762-008-9374-5
20. Afsar, M. N., "Millimeter-wave dielectric measurement of materials," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 73, No. 1, 131-153, Jan. 1985.
21. Bogle, A., M. Havrilla, D. Nyquis, L. Kempel, and E. Rothwell, "Electromagnetic material characterization using a partially-filled rectangular waveguide," Journal Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 10, 1291-1306, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775525909
22. Chala, R. K., D. Kajfez, V. Demir, J. R. Gladden, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Permittivity measurement with a non-standard waveguide by using TRL calibration and fractional linear data," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 1-13, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102001
23. Kumar, A. and S. Sharma, "Measurement of dielectric constant and loss factor of the dielectric materials at microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 47-54, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06111204
24. Moradi, G. and A. Abdipour, "Measuring the permittivity of dielectric materials using STDR approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 357-365, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07080201
25. Strickland, J., Time Domain Reflectometry Measurements, Tektroni, .