A novel circuit structure of dual-band bandstop filters is proposed in this paper. This structure comprises two shunt-connected tri-section stepped impedance resonators with a transmission line in between. Theoretical analysis and design procedures are described. The derived synthesis equations have two degrees of freedom which provide more design flexibility in filter synthesis. Notably, three advantages of the proposed filter structure lie in the fact of its increased nonuniform impedances, resulting in a compact size, wide range of realizable frequency ratio, and more realizable impedances. Three experimental dual-band bandstop filters with various frequency ratios were fabricated to demonstrate the feasibility of the new filter structure.
1. Uchida, H., H. Kamino, K. Totani, N. Yoneda, M. Miyazaki, Y. Konishi, S. Makino, J. Hirokawa, and M. Ando, "Dual-band-rejection filter for distortion reduction in RF transmitters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, 2550-2556, Nov. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.837161
2. Chen, J.-X., T. Y. Yum, J.-L. Li, and Q. Xue, "Dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using stacked-loop structure," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, 502-504, Sep. 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.880705
3. Kuo, J.-T., T.-H. Yeh, and C.-C. Yeh, "Design of microstrip bandpass filters with a dual-passband response," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 1331-1337, Apr. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845765
4. Tseng, C.-H. and T. Itoh, "Dual-band bandpass and bandstop filters using composite right/left-handed metamaterial transmission lines," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 931-934, 2006. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2006.249869
5. Fan, J.-W., C.-H. Liang, and X.-W. Dai, "Design of cross-coupled dual-band filter with equal-length split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 285-293, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07060904
6. Quendo, C., E. Rius, and C. Person, "Narrow bandpass filters using dual-behavior resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, 734-743, Mar. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.808729
7. Tsai, C.-M., H.-M. Lee, and C.-C. Tsai, "Planar filter design with fully controllable second passband," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 3429-3439, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.855739
8. Ma, Z., K. Kikuchi, Y. Kobayashi, T. Anada, and G. Hagiwara, "Novel microstrip dual-band bandstop filter with controllable dual-stopband response," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, 1177-1180, Dec. 2006.
10. Zhang, H. and K. J. Chen, "Miniaturized coplanar waveguide bandpass filters using multisection stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 1090-1095, Mar. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.864126