Two closed form approximations are given for mutual coupling between arbitrarily oriented slots with cosinusoidal distribution, using the known results for dipoles along with a new correction factor to account for the piecewise sinusoidal dipole current. Using these approximations, a scheme has been developed for calculating mutual coupling between practically used slots of arbitrary orientation and useful results are obtained from simple closed form expressions for slot separation of 1.2 × slot length or more depending upon the approximation chosen and the length of the slot. These approximations are found to be more accurate than those available in the literature, with a maximum error of less than 1.6% for slots shorter than 0.5 wavelength and separated by 0.85 × wavelength or more. Simple yet accurate expressions for mutual coupling, like the point dipole approximation developed here, result in efficient evaluation of mutual coupling for the design of large arrays of slots or for Electromagnetic Compatibility analysis.
Sandeepak S. Kakatkar,
Kamla Prasan Ray,
"Evaluation of Mutual Coupling Between Slots from Dipole Expressions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 9, 123-138, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09091407
1. Elliott, R. S., "An improved design procedure for small arrays of shunt slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 31, 48-53, 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143002
2. Zhu, Y. Z., Y. J. Xie, Z.-Y. Lei, and T. Dang, "A novel method of mutual coupling matching for array antenna design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1013-1024, 2007.
3. Albani, M., A. Mazzinghi, and A. Freni, Closed form asymptotic expressions for slot mutual admittance to speed up MOM matrix ¯lling time in RLSA full wave analysis, 2nd Euro. Conf. on Antennas and Propagat., EuCAP2007, Edinburgh, UK, Nov. 2007.
4. H. H., H. J. Eom, "Electromagnetic penetration into a rectangular cavity with multiple apertures in a conducting plane," IEEE Trans. Electromag. Compat., Vol. 42, No. 3, 303-307, Aug. 2000. doi:10.1109/15.865338
5. Fang, C.-H., S. Zheng, H. Tan, D. Xie, and Q. Zhang, "Shielding e®ectiveness measurements on enclosures with various apertures by both mode-tuned reverberation chamber and GTEM cell methodologies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 103-114, 2008.
6. Richmond, J. H., "Mutual Impedance between coplanar skew dipoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 18, 414-416, 1970. doi:10.1109/TAP.1970.1139705
7. Rengarajan, S. R., "Efficient and accurate evaluation of external mutual coupling between compound broadwall slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 40, No. 6, 734-737, Jun. 1992. doi:10.1109/8.144611
8. Mazzarella, G. and G. Panariello, "On the evaluation of mutual coupling between slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 35, 1289-1297, Nov. 1987.
9. Malherbe, J. A. G. and D. B. Davidson, "Mutual impedance for half-cosinusoid slot voltage distribution: An evaluation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 32, 990-991, Sep. 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143457
10. Park, P. K. and Mutual admittance between slots on a plane, "IEEE Antennas Propagat. Sym.,", Vol. 12, 393-395, 1984.
11. Borgiotti, G. V., "A novel expression for the mutual admittance of planar radiating elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 16, No. 3, 329-333, May 1968. doi:10.1109/TAP.1968.1139185
12. Nesterenko, M. V., V. A. Katrich, Y. M. Penkin, and S. L. Berdnik, "Analytical methods in theory of slot-hole coupling of electrodynamic volumes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 79-174, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06121203
13. Kakatkar, S. S. and K. P. Ray, "Near field of slot radiators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 7, 41-55, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09041201
14. Singaraju, B. K. and C. E. Baum, "A simple technique for obtaining the near fields of electric dipole antennas from their far fields," Sensor and Simulation Notes, Note 213, Mar. 1976.
15. Richmond, J. H. and N. H. Geary, "Mutual impedance of nonplanar-skew sinusoidal dipoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 23, No. 2, 412-414, May 1975. doi:10.1109/TAP.1975.1141083