Many applications of microstrip antenna are rendered by their inherent narrow bandwidth. In this paper a new approach is proposed to design inset feed microstrip antenna with slots in it to improve the antenna bandwidth. This paper deals with the design of slotted microsrip antenna on a substrate of thickness 1.588 mm that gives wideband characteristics using ANN. The illustrated patch antenna gives enhanced bandwidth as compared to antenna with out slots of the same physical dimensions. In the present work an Artificial Neural Network (ANN) model is developed to analyse the bandwidth of the example antenna. The Method of Moments (MOM) based IE3D software has been used to generate training and test data for the ANN. The example antenna is also designed physically with glass epoxy substrate with εr = 4.7 for few results for testing the artificial neural network model. The different variants of training algorithm of MLPFFB-ANN (Multilayer Perceptron feed forward back propagation Artificial Neural Network) and RBF -ANN (Radial basis function Artificial Neural Network) has been used to implement the network model. The results obtained from artificial neural network when compared with experimental and simulation results, found satisfactory and also it is concluded that RBF network is more accurate and fast as compared to different variants of backpropagation training algorithms of MLPFFBP.
Vandana Vikas Thakare,
Pramod Kumar Singhal,
"Bandwidth Analysis by Introducing Slots in Microstrip Antenna Design Using ANN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 9, 107-122, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09093002
1. Zhang, Q. J. and K. C. Gupta, Neural Networks for RF and Microwave Design, Artech House Publishers, 2000.
2. Watson, P. M. and K. C. Gupta, "Design and optimization of CPW circuits using EM ANN models for CPW components," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 12, 2515-2523, Dec. 1997. doi:10.1109/22.643868
3. Zaabab, A. H., Q. J. Zhang, and M. Nakhla, "Analysis and optimization of microwave circuits & devices using neural network models," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 393-396, 1994.
4. Naser-Moghaddasi, M., P. D. Barjoei, and A. Naghsh, "Heuristic artificial neural network for analysing and synthesizing rectangular microstrip anteena," IJCSNS International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, Vol. 7, No. 12, Dec. 2007.
5. Turker, N., F. GÄunes, and T. Yildirim, "Artificial neural design of microstrip antennas," Turk. J. Elec. Engin., Vol. 14, No. 3, 2006.
6. Peik, S. E., G. Coutts, and R. R. Mansour, "Application of neural networks in microwave circuit modelling," Electrical and computer Engineering, 1998, IEEE Canadian Conference, Vol. 2, 928-931, May 24--28, 1998.
7. Devi, S., D. C. Panda, and S. S. Pattnaik, "A novel method of using artificial neural networks to calculate input impedance of circular microstrip antenna," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 462-465, June 16--21, 2002.
8. Mishra, R. K. and A. Patnaik, "Neural network-based CAD model for the design of square-patch antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 12, 1890-1891, Dec. 1998. doi:10.1109/8.743842
9. Patnaik, A., R. K. Mishra, G. K. Patra, and S. K. Dash, "An artificial neural network model for effective dielectric constant of microstrip line," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 11, 1697, Nov. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.650084
10. Karaboga, D., K. Guney, S. Sagiroglu, and M. Erler, "Neural computation of resonant frequency of electrically thin and thick rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 146, No. 2, 155-159, Apr. 1999. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19990136
11. Guney, K. and N. Sarikaya, "Resonant frequency calculation for circular microstrip antennas with a dielectric cover using adaptive network-based fuzzy inference system optimized by various algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 72, 279-306, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07031302
12. Pattnaik, S. S., D. C. Panda, and S. Devi, "Radiation resistance of coax-fed rectangular microstrip antenna using artificial neural networks," Microwave and Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 34, No. 1, 51-53, Jul. 5, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10370
13. James, J. R., P. S. Hall, and C.Wood, Microstrip Antenna Theory and Design, Peter Peregrines (IEE), Stevenage, UK, 1981.
14. Guney, K., "Resonant frequency of a tuneable rectangular microstrip patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 7, 581-585, 1994. doi:10.1002/mop.4650071216
15. Herscovici, N., "New consideration in the design of microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 6, 807-812, Jun. 1998. doi:10.1109/8.686766
16. Pattnaik, S. S., G. Lazzi, and O. P. Gandhi, "On the use of wideband wide band high gain microstrip antenna for mobile telephones," IEEE Transaction on Antenna and Propagation Magzine, Vol. 40, No. 1, 88-90, Feb. 1998. doi:10.1109/74.667369
17. Palit, S. K. and N. Vijayasinghe, "Broadband microstrip antenna design," China J. Radio Sci., 670-673, 1995.
18. Croq, F., G. Kossiavas, and A. Papienik, "Stacked resonators for bandwidth enhancement: A comparison of two feeding techniques," IEEE Proc. Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 4, 303-308, 1993.
19. Sanchez-Hernadaz, D. and I. D. Robertson, "A survey of broadband microstrip patch antennas," Microwave Journal, 60-84, Sept. 1996.
20. Lee, K. F., K. M. Luk, K. F. Tong, Y. L. Yung, and T. Huyuh, "Experimental study of the rectangular patch with a U-shaped slot," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Digest, 10-13, Jul. 21--26, 1996.
21. Palit, S. K. and A. Hamadi, "Design and development of wideband and dual band microstrip antenna," IEEE Proceedings --- Microwave, Antennas, and Propagation, Vol. 146, No. 1, 1094-1100, Feb. 1999.
22. Robert, B., T. Razvan, and A. Papernik, "Compact patch antenna integrates monolithic amp," Microwave & RF, Vol. 34, No. 4, 115-125, Mar. 1995.
23. Palit, S. K. and A. Hamadi, "Design and development of wideband and dual microstrip antennas," IEEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 146, No. 1, 35-39, Feb. 1999.
24. Yong, F., X. Zhang, X. Ye, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Wide-band E-shaped patch antennas for wireless communication," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 7, 1094-1100, Jul. 2001. doi:10.1109/8.933489
25. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1997.
26. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antenna," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 80, 79-81, 1992.
27. Hassoun, M. H., Fundamentals of Artificial Neural Networks , Chapter 8, New Delhi, Prentice Hall of India, 1999.