A tunable filtering antenna (filtenna) realized using rings fed with an ultra-wideband (UWB) planar, elliptical monopole antenna is proposed. An array of slotted rings with varactors is placed in close proximity of the planar monopole to obtain the low profile tunable filtenna. The array of rings can be viewed as a small tunable frequency selective surface. The design produces a tuning range of about 3.8-4.4 GHz over a varactor reverse bias voltage of 1-4 V.
Jason Leo Durbin,
"Tunable Filtenna Using Varactor Tuned Rings Fed with an Ultra Wideband Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 29, 43-50, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL11111810
1. Lu, Y., H. J. Lam, and J. Bornemann, "Coplanar printed-circuit antenna with band-rejection elements," Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., 1-4, 2008.
2. Luo, G. Q., et al., "Filtenna consisting of horn antenna and substrate integrated waveguide cavity FSS," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 1, 92-98, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.888459
3. Bayatpur, F. and K. Sarabandi, "Miniaturized FSS and patch antenna array coupling for angle-independent, high-order spatial filtering," IEEE Microw. and Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 2, 79-81, 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2038517
4. Bichelot, F., R. Loison, and L. L. Coq, "FSS-EBG antenna with improved directivity bandwidth: Theory, design and measurements," Antennas and Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 5423-5425, 2007.
5. Zhan, S. , R. J. Weber, and J. Song, "Effects of frequency selective surface (FSS) on enhancing the radiation efficiency of metal-surface mounted dipole antenna," IEEE/MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp., 1659-1662, 2007. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2007.380024
6. Russo, I., L. Boccia, G. Amendola, and G. D. Massa, "Tunable pass-band FSS for beam steering applications," Proc. of the 4th European Conf. on Antennas and Propag., 1-4, 2010.
7. Bayatpur, F., "Metamaterial-inspired frequency-selective surfaces,", Ph.D. Thesis, Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2009.