In this paper, a microstrip combline bandpass filter (BPF) with a broad upper stopband performance is presented. The proposed filter is based on the design of a bandpass filter cascaded with a defected microstrip structure (DMS) bandstop filter. The bandstop characteristic is realized using T-shaped DMS at the external input and output coupling transformers. The measured and simulated electrical performances are in good agreement and demonstrate broad upper stopband bandwidth. The proposed filter is also compared with the characteristic of a conventionally designed filter to highlight the advantages of the proposed approach.
Vijay K. Devabhaktuni,
"Compact Realization of Combline Bandpass Filter Integrated with Defected Microstrip Structure Bandstop Filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 35, 99-105, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12091810
2. Kuo, J. and M. Jiang, "Enhanced microstrip filter design with a uniform dielectric overlay for suppressing the second harmonic response," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 9, 419-421, Sep. 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.832068
3. Kim, B., J. Lee, and M. Song, "An implementation of harmonic-suppression microstrip filters with periodic grooves," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 9, 413-415, Sep. 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.832063
4. Lee, J. and Y. Kim, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with improved upperstopband performance using defected ground structure," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 6, 316-318, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2047469
5. Ahn, D., J. Park, C. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, Jan. 2001. doi:10.1109/22.899965
6. Tirado-Mendez, J. and H. Jardon-Aguilar, "Comparison of defected ground structure (DGS) and defected microstrip structure (DMS) behavior at high frequencies," 1st International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ICEEE), Sep. 2004.
7. Xiao, J. and W. Zhu, "New defected microstrip structure band-stop filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Proceedings, Suzhou, China, Sep. 2011.
8. Levy, R., R. Snyder, and G. Matthaei, "Design of microwave filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, 783-793, Mar. 2002. doi:10.1109/22.989962
9. Edwards, T. and M. Steer, Foundations of Interconnect and Microstrip Design, Wiley, New York , 2001.