A rectangular dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) with a square spiral microstrip feedline is investigated in this paper. The design utilizes a feeding structure to excite two resonant modes (TEδ11 and TE1δ1 modes) of the rectangular DRA that are spatially orthogonal in polarization and in phase. The antenna with the proposed feeding structure has provided a measured circular polarization(CP) over a bandwidth of ~15.5% in conjunction with an impedance-matching bandwidth of ~31.25% at the same frequency range. The gain of the dielectric resonator antenna varies between 6.8 and 7.2 dBi across the bandwidth (7.5~8.75 GHz). Reasonable agreement between the simulated and measured results is obtained.
"Wideband Circularly Polarized Dielectric Resonator Antenna with a Square Spiral Microstrip Feedline," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 41, 11-20, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13042802
1. Kajfez, D. and P. Guillon, Dielectric Resonators, Artech House, Norwood, MA , 1986.
2. Kumar, A. V. P., V. Hamsakutty, J. Yohannan, and K. T. Mathew, "Microstrip fed cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna with a coplanar parasitic strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 143-152, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05121301
3. Saed, M. and R. Yadla, "Microstrip-FED low profile and compact dielectric resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 151-162, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05041401
4. Abdulla, P. and A. Chakraborty, "Rectangular waveguide-FED hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 225-244, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08050701
5. Qian, Z. H., K. W. Leung, and R.-S. Chen, "Analysis of circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna excited by spiral slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 47, 111-121, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03102501
6. Fayad, H. and P. Record, "Multi-feed dielectric resonator antenna with reconfigurable radiation pattern," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 341-356, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07071204
7. Kishak, A. A., "An elliptic dielectric resonator antenna designed for circular polarization with single feed," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 37, 454-456, Jun. 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10948
8. Khoo, K.-W., Y.-X. Guo, and L. C. Ong, "Wideband circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 7, Jul. 2007.
9. Leung, K. W. and S. K. Mok, "Circularly polarised dielectric resonator antenna excited by perturbed annular slot with backing cavity," Electronics Letters, Vol. 37, No. 15, Jul. 19, 2001.
10. Motevasselian, A., A. Ellgardt, and B. L. G. Jonsson, "A circularly polarized cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna using a helical exciter," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 1439-1443, Mar. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2229954
11. Leung, K.-W. W. and X. S. Fang, "The compact circularly-polarized hollow rectangular dielectric resonator antenna with an underlaid quadrature coupler," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 288-293, Jan. 2011.
12. Huang, C. Y., J. Y. Wu, and K. L. Wong, "Cross slot coupled microstrip antenna and dielectric resonator antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, 605-609, Apr. 1999. doi:10.1109/8.768798
13. Leung, K. W., W. C. Wong, and H. K. Ng, "Circularly polarized slot-coupled dielectric resonator antenna with a parasitic patch," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, 57-59, Feb. 2002. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2002.805124
14. Sulaiman, M. I. and S. K. Khamas, "Singly-fed dielectric resonator antenna with a wideband circular polarization," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 1950-1952, Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Sheffield Mappin Stree, Sheffield, S1 3JD, UK, 2011.
15. Sulaiman, M. I. and S. K. Khamas, "A singly fed rectangular dielectric resonator antenna with a wideband circular polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 615-618, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2054060
16. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., 2004.