An investigation of dual-band balanced-to-unbalanced (blaun) bandpass filters (BPFs) is presented in this letter. Two types of balun BPFs named Type-A and Type-B filters based on coupled ring resonators are discussed and fabricated. Both the simulated and measured results show that these balun-BPFs have not only good amplitude performances but also excellent phase difference performances. The center frequencies of these balun BPFs are set at 2.4 GHz/5.6 GHz for Type-A and 1.57/4.65 GHz for Type-B balun filters. The differences are 180° ± 5° in phase and within 0.6 dB in magnitude of type A and 0.73 dB of type B, respectively. Thus, these balun BPFs can be used in many wireless communication systems.
Bi Huan Yin,
"Investigation of Dual-Band Balun Bandpass Filters Based on Coupled Ring Resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 41, 21-28, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13051407
1. Li, X., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, and Y.-J. Yang, "Dual-band and wideband design of a printed dipole antenna integrated with dual-band balun," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 165-174, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL08120504
2. Shao, J., H. Zhang, C. Chen, S. Tan, and K.-J. Chen, "A compact dual-band coupled-line balun with tapped open-ended stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 22, 109-122, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11050205
3. Lin, C.-M., C.-C. Su, S.-H. Hung, and Y.-H. Wang, "A compact balun dased on microstrip EBG cell and interdigital capacitor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 111-118, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09092904
4. Sanchez-Martinez, J.-J. and E. Marquez-Segure, "Generalized analytical design of broadband planar baluns based on wire-bonded multiconductor transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 169-187, 2013.
5. Yeh, Z.-Y. and Y.-C. Chiang, "A miniature CPW balun constructed with length-reduced 3 dB couplers and a short redundant transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 195-208, 2011.
7. Jung, E.-Y. and H.-Y. Hwang, "A balun-BPF using a dual mode ring resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 9, 652-654, Sep. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.903442
8. Cheong, P., T.-S. Lv, W.-W. Choi, and K.-W. Tam, "A compact microstrip square-loop dual mode balun-bandpass filter with simultaneous spurious response suppression and differential performance improvement," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 2, 77-79, Feb. 2011.
9. Sun, S. and W. Menzel, "Novel dual-mode balun bandpass filters using single cross-slotted patch resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 8, 415-417, Aug. 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2011.2158535
11. Zhou, L.-H., H. Tang, J.-X. Chen, and Z.-H. Bao, "Tunable filtering balun with enhanced stopband rejection," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 14, 845-847, Jul. 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2012.1869
12. Kang, W., H. Wang, C. Miao, C. Tan, and W. Wu, "A high performance balun bandpass filter with very simple structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 31, 169-176, Sep. 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12030406
13. Tsai, C.-M., S.-Y. Lee, and C.-C. Tsai, "Performance of a planar filter using a 0o feed structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 10, 2362-2367, Oct. 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.803421