An analytical formulation is developed for an axial slot on an infinitely long conducting circular cylinder eccentrically coated with dielectric and partially embedded in a ground plane. A computer program has been developed based on the resulting formulation. The problem is highly significant since the ground plane could be the body of an aircraft, a ship, or any other mobile system. The effect of the ground plane can be used to enhance the radiation characteristics in some cases. It is also a support for the antenna instead of using other mechanical mounting supporting system. Numerical results for different antenna configurations are illustrated. The results show that how one may shape the pattern by offsetting the slotted cylinder from the center of the dielectric coating.
"Radiation from Axial Slot on an Infinitely Long Conducting Circular Cylinder Eccentrically Coated with Dielectric and Partly Embedded in a Ground Plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 32, 271-283, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERM13051604
1. Sensiper, S., "Cylindrical radio waves," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, 56-70, Jan. 1957. doi:10.1109/TAP.1957.1144466
2. Papas, C. H., "Radiation from a transverse slot in an infinite cylinder," J. of Mathematics and Phys., Vol. XXVIII, 227-236, 1949.
3. Silver, S. and W. K. Saunders, "The radiation from a transverse rectangular slot in a circular cylinder," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 21, 153-158, Feb. 1950. doi:10.1063/1.1699615
4. Hurd, R. A., "Radiation pattern of a dielectric-coated axially-slotted cylinder," Canadian Journal of Phy., Vol. 34, 638-642, 1956. doi:10.1139/p56-072
5. Wait, J. R. and W. Mientka, "Slotted-cylinder antenna with a dielectric coating," J. of Research of the National Bureau of Standards, Vol. 58, 287-296, Jun. 1957. doi:10.6028/jres.058.036
6. Shafai, L., "Radiation from an axial slot antenna coated with a homogeneous material," Canadian J. of Phys., Vol. 50, 3072-3077, 1972. doi:10.1139/p72-400
7. Knop, C. M., "External admittance of an axial slot on a dielectric coated metal cylinder," Radio Science, Vol. 3, 803-817, Aug. 1968.
8. Crosswell, W., G. Westrick, and C. Knop, "Computations of the aperture admittance of an axial slot on a dielectric coated cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 20, 89-92, 1972. doi:10.1109/TAP.1972.1140141
9. Ragheb, H. A. and U. M. Johar, "Radiation characteristics of an infinite dielectric-coated axially slotted cylindrical antenna partly embedded in a ground plane," IEEE Transactions in Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 46, 1542-1547, Oct. 1998.
10. Richmond, J., "Axial slot antenna on dielectric coated elliptic cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, 1235-1241, Oct. 1989. doi:10.1109/8.43531
11. Ragheb, H. and E. Hassan, "Radiation characteristics of slots on a conducting circular cylinder covered by eccentric dielectric cylinder," IEE Proc. --- Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 142, 168-172, 1995. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19951775
12. Akgol, O., D. Erricolo, and P. L. E. Uslenghi, "Radiation of a line source by a slotted semielliptical trench filled with DNG metamaterial," Proceedings --- 2009 3rd IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications, MAPE 2009, 107-110, Article No. 5355774, 2009.
13. Li, W., J. Qiu, W. Deng, and Y. Suo, "Research on an axially slotted cylinder antenna coated with plasma sheath," 2008 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology Proceedings, ICMMT, Vol. 4, 1875-1878, Article No. 4540849, 2008.
14. Hamid, A. K. and M. I. Hussein, "Exact radiation for slotted circular or elliptical antenna coated by a concentric isorefractive metamaterials," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 26, No. 1-2, 101-111, 2007.
15. Shin, D. H. and H. J. Eom, "Radiation from narrow circumferential slots on a conducting circular cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 6, 2081-2088, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.848503
16. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley and Sons, 1989.