This letter presents a dual-band bandpass filter (BPF) using interdigital coupling lines with a new defected ground structure (DGS) pattern. Traditional DGS structures are mainly used to realize wide bandstop characteristics. In this letter, by introducing a pair of coupling stubs in the aperture of the DGS, a narrow passband can be achieved within a wide stopband, so a dual-band bandpass filter can be implemented. An equivalent circuit model is derived to describe the filter. And the circuit simulation result agrees well with the EM simulation one. The position and bandwidth of the two passbands can be designed and adjusted independently. In order to verify the theory, a dual-band bandpass filter is designed, fabricated and measured. The simulated and measured results are in good agreement.
"Design of Dual Band Filter Based on a Novel DGS Structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 41, 167-174, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13061503
1. Chen, C.-Y. and C.-Y. Hsu, "A simple and effective method for microstrip dual-band filters design," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 5, 246-248, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.873584
2. Quendo, C., E. Rius, and C. Person, "An original topology of dual-band filter with transmission zeros," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1093-1096, 2003.
3. Lim, J.-S., C.-S. Kim, et al. "Design of low-pass filters using defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2539-2545, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.852765
4. Yang, G. M., R. Jin, et al. "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with hybrid quasi-lumped elements and defected ground structure," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 3, 733-736, June 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20060288
5. Ting, S.-W., K.-W. Tam, et al. "Miniaturized microstrip lowpass filter with wide stopband using double equilateral U-shaped defected ground structure," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 5, 240-242, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.873592
6. Ahn, D., J. S. Park, et al. "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.899965
7. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley, New York, 2001. doi:10.1002/0471221619