We propose a technique with clear guidelines to design a compact planar Wilkinson power divider (WPD) for ultra-wideband (UWB) applications. The design procedure is accomplished by replacing the uniform transmission lines in each arm of the conventional power divider with varyingimpedance profiles governed by a truncated Fourier series. Such non-uniform transmission lines (NTLs) are obtained through the even mode analysis, whereas three isolation resistors are optimized in the odd mode circuit to achieve proper isolation and output ports matching over the frequency range of interest. For verification purposes, an in-phase equal split WPD is designed, simulated, and measured. Simulation and measurement results show that the input and output ports matching as well as the isolation are below -10 dB, whereas the transmission parameters are in the range of (-3.2 dB, -4.2 dB) across the 3.1 GHz-10.6 GHz band.
Khair Al Shamaileh,
Vijay K. Devabhaktuni,
Nihad I. Dib,
Amin M. Abbosh,
"Non-Uniform Transmission Line Ultra-Wideband Wilkinson Power Divider," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 44, 1-11, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13080807
1. Fontana, R., A. Ameli, E. Richley, L. Beard, and D. Guy, "Recent advances in ultra-wideband communications systems," Proc. of IEEE Conf. on Ultra-wideband Sys. and Tech., 129-133, May 2002.
2. Venkatasubramanian, V., H. Leung, and X. Liu, "Chaos UWB radar for through-the-wall imaging," IEEE Trans. Image Process., Vol. 18, No. 6, 1255-1265, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1109/TIP.2009.2017340
3. Bialkowski, M. E., Y. Wang, and A. Abbosh, "UWB microwave mono-pulse radar system for breast cancer detection," Proc. 4th Int. Conf. Signal Process. and Comm. Sys., 1-4, Dec. 2010.
4. Ireland, D., A. Abbosh, M. Bialkowski, and E. Miller, "Study on optimal bandwidth for microwave breast imaging," Proc. 7th Int. Conf. Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing, 21-24, Dec. 2011.
5. Kshetrimayum, R., "An introduction to UWB communication systems," IEEE Potentials, Vol. 28, No. 2, 9-13, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1109/MPOT.2009.931847
6. Yang, L. and G. B. Giannakis, "Ultra-wideband communications: An idea whose time has come," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 21, No. 6, 26-54, Nov. 2004. doi:10.1109/MSP.2004.1359140
8. Lin, Y.-S. and J.-H. Lee, "Miniature ultra-wideband power divider using bridged T-coils," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 8, 391-393, Aug. 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2205231
9. Bialkowski, M. and A. Abbosh, "Design of a compact UWB out-of-phase power divider," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 4, 289-291, Apr. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.892979
10. Abbosh, A., "A compact UWB three-way power divider," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 8, 598-600, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.901777
11. Chiang, C.-T. and B.-K. Chung, "Ultra-wideband power divider using tapered line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 61-73, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061603
12. Ou, X.-P. and Q.-X. Chu, "A modified two-section UWB Wilkinson power divider," Int. Conf. on Microw. and Millimeter Wave Tech., Vol. 3, 258-1260 , Apr. 2008.
13. Zhou, B., H. Wang, and W.-X. Sheng, "A modified UWB Wilkinson power divider using delta stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 19, 49-55, 2010.
14. Zhou, B., H. Wang, and W.-X. Sheng, "A novel UWB Wilkinson power divider," Proc. 2nd Int. Inform. Sci. Eng. Conf., 1763-1765, Dec. 2010. doi:10.1109/ICISE.2010.5690755
15. Pozar, D., "Microwave Engineering," Wiley, 2005.
16. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Wideband or multiband impedance matching using microstrip non-uniform transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 15-25, 2006.
17. Shamaileh, K. and N. I. Dib, "Design of compact dual-frequency Wilkinson power divider using non-uniform transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 19, 37-46, 2011.
18. Li, Y., "Centering, trust region, reflctive techniques for nonlinear minimization subject to bounds," Technical Report 93-1385, Sep. 1993.
19. Shamaileh, K., A. Qaroot, N. Dib, and A.-F. Sheta, "Design and analysis of multifrequency Wilkinson power dividers using non-uniform transmission lines," Int. J. RF and Microwave Comp. Aid. Eng., Vol. 21, 526-533, Sep. 2011. doi:10.1002/mmce.20538
20. Shamaileh, K., N. Dib, and A. Abbosh, "Analysis and design of ultra-wideband unequal-split Wilkinson power divider using tapered lines transformers," Electromagnetics, Vol. 32, No. 7, 426-437, 2012. doi:10.1080/02726343.2012.717452
21., ANSYS-High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), Ansys, Inc. , Canonsburg, PA, 2011.