Because the oversized, ultra short-range and arbitrary-shape goals cannot be imaged by Fourier transform algorithm, a Boundary Element Method(BEM) is presented for short-range millimeter wave holographic imaging.Through the discrete boundary integral equation, the discrete electromagnetic fields on the source surface and holographic surface are obtained. They are linked by a transfer matrix. Finally, the discrete electromagnetic fields obtain target holographic image. Due to the complexity of the transfer matrix, the Distributed Source Boundary Point Method (DSBPM) is introduced to calculate it, which greatly simplifies the calculation process. The simulation experiments of three-dimensional hemisphere imaging show the sensitivity of the imaging algorithm to test error, and regularization method has been proposed. The actual measurement of the four small metal balls verifies the validity of the imaging algorithm for large target imaging. The imaging results show that holographic imaging of the boundary element method can obtain high resolution and high amplitude accuracy.
"The Research on Short-Range Target Holographic Imaging Algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 33, 251-262, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERM13090603
1. McMakin, D. L., P. E. Keller, D. M. Sheen, et al. "Dual surface dielectric depth detector for holographic millimeter-wave security scanners ," SPIE Proceeding, Vol. 7309, No. 73090G, 1-10, 2009.
2. Sheen, D. M., D. L. McMakin, W. M. Lechelt, et al. "Circularly polarized millimeter-wave imaging for personnel screening," SPIE Proceeding, Vol. 5789, 117-126, 2005. doi:10.1117/12.606825
3. Sheen, D. M., T. E. Hall, R. H. Severtsen, et al. "Active wideband 350 GHz imaging system for concealed-weapon detection," SPIE Proceeding, Vol. 7309, No. 73090I, 1-10, 2009.
4. McMakin, D. L., D. M. Sheen, and T. E. Hall, "Biometric identi¯cation using holographic radar imaging techniques," SPIE Proceeding, Vol. 6538, No. 65380C, 1-12, 2007.
5. Sheen, D. M., D. L. McMakin, and T. E. Hall, "Cylindrical millimeter wave imaging technique and applications," SPIE Proceeding, Vol. 6211, No. 62110A, 1-10, 2006.
6. Keller, P. E., D. L. McMakin, and D. M. Sheen, "Privacy algo-rithm for cylindrical holographic weapons surveillance system," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 15, No. 2, 17-24, 2000. doi:10.1109/62.825667
7. Lettington, A. H., M. P. Rollason, and S. Tzimopoulou, "Image restoration using a two dimensional Lorentzian probability model ," Journal of Modern Optics, Vol. 47, No. 5, 931-938, 2000.
8. Zhang, S. Y. and X. Z. Chen, "The boundary point method for the calculation of exterior acoustic radiation problem," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 228, No. 4, 761-772, 1999. doi:10.1006/jsvi.1999.2442
9. Bi, C. X., "Theoretical and experimental study on the distributed source boundary point method based near field acoustic holography," Hefei University of Technology Doctoral Thesis, 35-51, 2004.
10. Xu, L., X.-Z. Chen, C.-X. Bi, et al. "Near field acoustic holography resolution enhancing method based on interpolation using orthogonal spherical wave source ," Journal of Zhejiang University (Engineering Science), Vol. 43, No. 10, 1808-1811, 2009.
11. Deng, J.-H., X.-D. Liu, and Y.-C. Shan, "Research on evanescent wave and propagation wave in sound field and the improved acoustic holography method," Technical Acoustics, Vol. 28, No. 5, 565-571, 2009.
12. Zhang, L. X., N. J. Li, S.-F. Hu, et al. "Radar Scattering and Imaging Diagnostic Testing," China Astronautics Press, 145-220, 2009.