In this paper, a rigorous and accurate numerical two-dimensional modeling finite element method 2D-FEM is applied to the analysis and design of substrate integrated waveguide components. The finite element method represents an excellent tool for the analysis and design since it easily allows taking into account all details of each device. The advantages of this method have been proved with the successful design of two SIW waveguide topologies operating in [8-12] GHz and [10.7-12.75] GHz respectively for X-band and Ku-band applications employed in satellite communications. In order to validate the proposed method, a comparison is made between the FEM method implemented in Matlab and CST Microwave Studio® software. Agreements between the finite element method data and the CST software results were achieved. The obtained results show the effectiveness of this method to analyze such types of guides.
Amine Mohammed Rabah,
Tan Hoa Vuong,
"Substrate Integrated Waveguide Design Using the Two Dimentionnal Finite Element Method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 35, 21-30, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERM14010702
1. Wu, K., D. Deslandes, and Y. Cassivi, "The substrate integrated circuits --- A new concept for high-frequency Electronics and Optoeletronics," 6th International Conference on Telecommunications in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Service, TELSIKS 2003, Vol. 1, P-III-P-X, Oct. 2003.
2. Kazemi, R., R. A. Sadeghzadeh, and A. E. Fathy, "Design of a wide band eight-way compact SIW power combiner FED by a low loss GCPW-to-SIW transition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 26, 97-110, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11110909
3. Cassivi, Y., L. Perregrini, P. Arcioni, M. Bressan, K. Wu, and G. Conciauro, "Dispersion characteristics of substrate integrated rectangular waveguide," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 9, 333-335, Sep. 2002. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2002.803188
4. Ruiz-Cruz, J. A., M. A. E. Sabbagh, K. A. Zaki, J. M. Rebollar, and Y. Zhang, "Canonical ridge waveguide filters in LTCC or metallic resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 174-182, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.839324
5. Chen, X.-P., K. Wu, and Z.-L. Li, "Dual-band and triple-band substrate integrated waveguide filters with Chebyshev and quasi-elliptic responses," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2569-2577, Dec. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.909603
6. Cassivi, Y. and K.Wu, "Low cost microwave oscillator using substrate integrated waveguide cavity," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 2, 48-50, Feb. 2003. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2003.808720
7. Shen, W., W. Y. Yin, and X. W. Sun, "Miniaturized dual-band substrate integrated waveguide filter with controllable bandwidths," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 8, 418-420, 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2011.2158412
8. Kanellopoulos, V. N. and J. P. Webb, "A complete E-plane analysis of waveguide junctions using he finite element method," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 38, No. 3, 290-295, 1990. doi:10.1109/22.45347
10. Sun, D.-K., L. Vardapetyan, and Z. Cendes, "Dimensional curl-conforming singular elements for FEM solutions of dielectric waveguide structures," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 3, 984-992, Mar. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.842477
11. Zeid, A. and H. Baudrand, "Electromagnetic scattering by metallic holes and its applications in microwave circuit design," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 4, 1198-1206, Apr. 2002. doi:10.1109/22.993425
12. Diaz Caballero, E., H. Esteban, A. Belenguer, and V. Boria, "Efficient analysis of substrate integrated waveguide devices using hybrid mode matching between cylindrical and guided modes," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 2, 232-243, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2178424
13. Wu, X. and A. Kishk, "Hybrid of method of moments and cylindrical eigenfunction expansion to study substrate integrated waveguide circuits," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 10, 2270-2276, Oct. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2004255
14. Arnieri, E. and G. Amendola, "Analysis of substrate integrated waveguide structures based on the parallel-plate waveguide Green's function," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 7, 1615-1623, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.925240
15. Abaei, E., E. Mehrshahi, G. Amendola, E. Arnieri, and A. Shamsafar, "Two dimensional multi-port method for analysis of propagation characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 29, 261-273, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12022506
16. Bozzi, M., L. Perregrini, and K. Wu, "Modeling of losses in substrate integrated waveguide by boundary integral-resonant mode expansion method," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 515-518, 2008.
17. Arnieri, E. and G. Amendola, "Method of moments analysis of slotted substrate integrated waveguide arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1148-1154, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2109356
18. Pelosi, G., R. Coccioli, and S. Selleri, Quick Finite Elements for Electromagnetic Waves, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Boston, 2009.
19. Doucha, S. and M. Abri, "New design of leaky wave antenna based on SIW technology for beam steering," nternational Journal of Computer Networks & Communications (IJCNC), Vol. 5, No. 5, 73, Sep. 2013. doi:10.5121/ijcnc.2013.5506
20. Fedi, G., S. Manetti, G. Pelosi, and S. Selleri, "FEM-trained artificial neural networks for the analysis and design of cylindrical posts in a rectangular waveguide," Electromagnetics, Vol. 22, No. 4, 323-330, 2002. doi:10.1080/02726340290083923