Height extraction by radar remote sensing is an attractive issue for the building detection and recognition. According to the analysis on the building geometrical properties in the SAR imagery, a novel height estimation algorithm is proposed following a model-based geometrical structure prediction and matching strategy. The range Doppler equation is introduced and simplified for the building 2D geometrical structure prediction in the slant image plane. An evaluation function implementing the ratio of exponentially weighted averages (ROEWA) is also established for the matching between the predicted structure and the observed SAR image. By incorporating the genetic algorithm (GA), the evaluation function is maximized to get the optimal height parameter. The experimental results with the simulated and real airborne and spaceborne SAR images show that the proposed method could efficiently estimate building height from single SAR imagery, and achieve better performance than two popular algorithms with the partial occlusion case.
"Building Height Estimation from High Resolution SAR Imagery via Model-Based Geometrical Structure Prediction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 41, 11-24, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERM14073001
2. Ok, A. O., C. Senaras, and B. Yuksel, "Automated detection of arbitrarily shaped buildings in complex environments from monocular VHR optical satellite imagery," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 51, No. 3, 1701-1717, 2013. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2012.2207123
3. Izadi, M. and P. Saeedi, "Three-dimensional polygonal building model estimation from single satellite images," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 50, No. 6, 2254-2272, 2012. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2011.2172995
4. Stankov, K. and D. He, "Building detection in very high spatial resolution multispectral images using the hit-or-miss transform," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 10, No. 1, 86-90, 2013. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2012.2193552
5. Elbakary, M. I. and K. M. Iftekharuddin, "Shadow detection of manmade buildings in high-resolution panchromatic satellite images," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 52, No. 9, 5374-5386, 2014. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2013.2288500
6. Balz, T., D. Perissinb, U. Soergel, L. Zhang, and M. S. Liao, "Post-seismic infrastructure damage assessment using high-resolution SAR satellite data," Proceeding of 2nd International Conference on Earth Observation for Global Change, 180-191, Chengdu, China, 2009.
7. Blacknell, D., R. D. Hill, and C. P. Moate, "Estimating building dimensions from synthetic aperture radar image sequences," IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 2, No. 3, 189-199, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn:20070077
8. Tupin, F., "Extraction of 3D information using overlay detection on SAR images," The 2nd GRSS/ISPRS Joint Workshop on Remote Sensing and Data Fusion over Urban Areas, 72-76, Berlin, Germany, 2003.
9. Meric, S., F. Fayard, and E. Pottier, "A multi-window approach for radargrammetric improvements," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 49, No. 10, 3803-3810, 2011. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2011.2144606
10. Simonetto, E., H. Oriot, and R. Garello, "Rectangular building extraction from stereoscopic airborne radar images," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 43, No. 10, 2386-2395, 2005. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2005.853570
11. Guida, R., A. Iodice, and D. Riccio, "Height retrieval of isolated buildings from single high-resolution SAR images," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 7, 2967-2979, 2010. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2010.2041460
12. Brunner, D., G. Lemoine, L. Bruzzone, and H. Greidanus, "Building height retrieval from VHR SAR imagery based on an iterative simulation and matching technique," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 3, 1487-1504, 2010. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2009.2031910
13. Wang, T. L. and Y. Q. Jin, "Postearthquake building damage assessment using multi-mutual information from pre-event optical image and post-event SAR image," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 9, No. 3, 452-456, 2012. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2011.2170657
14. Zhao, L. J., Building Extraction from High Resolution SAR Imagery, National University of Defense Technology, Changsha, China , 2009.
15. Sportouche, H., F. Tupin, and L. Denise, "Extraction and three-dimensional reconstruction of isolated buildings in urban scenes from high-resolution optical and SAR spaceborne images," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 49, No. 9, 3932-3946, 2011. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2011.2132727
16. Matzner, S. A., Model-based Information Extraction from Synthetic Aperture Radar Signals, Portland State University, Portland, USA, 2011.
17. Franceschetti, G., R. Guida, A. Iodice, D. Riccio, G. Ruello, and U. Stilla, "Building feature extraction via a deterministic approach: Application to real high resolution SAR images," Proceedings of IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2681-2684, Barcelona, Spain, 2007.
18. Gao, G., X. X. Qin, and S. L. Zhou, "Modeling SAR images based on a generalized gamma distribution for texture component," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 669-685, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13011807
19. Ferro, A., D. Brunner, L. Bruzzone, and G. Lemoine, "On the relationship between double bounce and the orientation of buildings in VHR SAR images," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 8, No. 4, 612-616, 2011. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2010.2097580
20. Fjortoft, R., A. Lopes, P. Marthon, and E. Cubero-Castan, "An optimal multiedge detector for SAR image segmentation," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 36, No. 3, 793-802, 1998. doi:10.1109/36.673672