The present paper describes an integrated approach for design, fabrication and encapsulation of RF MEMS switches in view of the optimal performance subsequent to packaging. `Top and bottom contact' fabrication approaches are explored using different RF MEMS switch topologies. In the `bottom contact package (BCP)' the packaging cap alignment is less critical as compared to the top contact packaging (TCP) approach where contact via is an integral part of the cap. In this case, the connection layout through silicon via holes is independent of the cavity geometry. For the devices under consideration, bulk etched silicon cavity height has been optimized to 50 μm for optimal RF performance e.g. isolation and insertion loss. Parasitic effects of top silicon cap are reduced by altering CPW impedance. Mechanical parameter damping is simulated for different cavity heights and found to be independent from cavity height after 20 μm onwards.
1. Najafi, K., "Micropackaging technologies for integrated microsystems: Applications to MEMS and MOEMS," Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 4979, 1-19, 2003. doi:10.1117/12.484953
2. Rebeiz, G. M. and J. B. Muldavin, "RF MEMS switch and switch circuit," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 2, 59-71, 2001. doi:10.1109/6668.969936
3. Myoung, S.-S., J.-G. Yook, S. Y. Eom, S.-I. Jeon, T. Wu, R.-L. Li, K. Lim, M. M. Tentzeris, and J. Laskar, "A reconfigurable active array antenna system with the frequency reconfigurable amplifiers based on RF MEMS switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 13, 107-119, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10030602
4. Jahanbakht, M., M. Naser-Moghadasi, and A. A. Lotfi-Neyestanak, "Low actuation voltage ka-band fractal MEMS switch," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 83-92, 2008.
5. Saha, S. C., U. Hanke, H. Sagberg, T. A. Fjeldly, and T. Saether, "Tunable band-pass filter using RF MEMS capacitance and transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 23, 233-247, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11070607
6. Bansal, D., A. Kumar, A. Sharma, and K. J. Rangra, "Design of compact and wide bandwidth SPDT with anti-stiction torsional RF MEMS series capacitive switch," Microsystem Technologies, 2014, DOI: 10.1007/s00542-014-2238-0.
7. Rangra, K., B. Margesin, L. Lorenzelli, F. Giacomozzi, C. Collini, M. Zen, G. Soncini, L. del Tin, and R. Gaddi, "Symmetric toggle switch --- A new type of RF MEMS switch for telecommunication applications: Design and fabrication," Sensors and Actuators A, 123-124, 505-514, 2005.
8. He, X.-J., Q. Wu, B.-S. Jin, K. Tang, M.-X. Song, J.-H. Yin, H.-C. Zhu, and , "Design and consideration of wafer level micropackaging for distributed RF MEMS phase shifters," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 14, 575-579, 2008. doi:10.1007/s00542-007-0438-6
9. Bansal, D., A. Kumar, A. Sharma, P. Kumar, and K. J. Rangra, "Design of novel compact antistiction and low insertion loss RF MEMS switch," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 20, No. 2, 337-340, 2014. doi:10.1007/s00542-013-1812-1
10. Bansal, D., A. Sharma, K. Maninder, and K. J. Rangra, "Design of vertical packaging technology for RF MEMS switch," Proc. SPIE 8549, 16th International Workshop on Physics of Semiconductor Devices, 854911, Oct. 15, 2012, doi:10.1117/12.924260.
11. Sharma, A., P. Jhanwar, D. Bansal, A. Kumar, M. Kaur, S. Pandey, P. Kumar, D. Kumar, and K. Rangra, "Comparative study of various release methods for gold surface micromachining," Journal of Micro/Nanolithography, MEMS, and MOEMS (JM3), Vol. 13, No. 1, 013005, 2014. doi:10.1117/1.JMM.13.1.013005
12. Sharma, A., D. Bansal, M. Kaur, P. Kumar, D. Kumar, R. Sharma, and K. J. Rangra, "Fabrication and analysis of MEMS test structures for residual stress measurement," Sensors & Transducers Journal, Vol. 13, Special Issue, 21-30, 2011..
13. Van Driel, W. D., D. G. Yang, C. A. Yuan, M. van Kleef, and G. Q. Zhang, "Mechanical reliability challenges for MEMS packages: Capping," Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 47, 1823-1826, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.microrel.2007.07.033
14. Leedy, K. D., R. E. Strawser, R. Cortez, and J. L. Jack Ebel, "Thin-film encapsulated RF MEMS switches," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 16, No. 2, 304-309, 2007. doi:10.1109/JMEMS.2007.892915
15. Chiao, M. and L. Lin, "Device-level hermetic packaging of micro resonators by RTP aluminum-tonitride bonding," Journal of Microelectromech Systems, Vol. 15, No. 3, 515-522, 2006. doi:10.1109/JMEMS.2006.876798
16. Lin, L., "MEMS post-packaging by localized heating and bonding," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 23, No. 4, 608-616, 2000. doi:10.1109/6040.883749
17. Lee, Y., S. Hong, M. Y. Park, S. C. Jung, and S. H. Lee, "Packaging considerations for reliability of electrically controlled MEMS VOA," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5346, 160-165, 2004. doi:10.1117/12.524603
18. Dib, N. I., P. B. Katehi, and G. E. Ponchak, "Analysis of shielded CPW discontinuities with air-bridges," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 469-472, 1991.
19. Muldavin, J. B. and G. M. Rebeiz, "High-isolation CPW MEMS shunt switches Part 1: Modeling," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 6, 1045-1052, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.904743