In this paper, a penta-band antenna design using matching network for mobile phone application is proposed. This design is composed of a planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) and a LC-tank-stacked network. The LC-tank-stacked network consists of two pairs of stacked chip-LC tank, which is parallel with the microstrip line feeding to the antenna. The PIFA works for generating dual bands, and each pair of chip-LC tanks can effectively enhance the lower band and upper band, respectively. According to measured results, the bandwidth can cover 824-960 MHz/1710-2170 MHz band for WWAN application for VSWR = 3:1. The peak antenna gain is better than 0.5 dBi and 3.4 dBi for lower and higher operation band, respectively. And the measured radiation efficiency is about 40-60% and 40-70% lower and higher operation band, respectively.
Christina F. Jou,
"A Penta-Band Planar Inverted-F Antenna for Mobile Phone Application Using LC-Tank-Stacked Network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 50, 41-47, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14102807
2. Hsieh, Y.-T., K.-L. Wong, Y.-T. Liu, and H.-T. Chen, "Printed dual-feed triangular patch antenna disposed in a small notch in the handheld device system ground plane for LTE/WWAN operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 11, Nov. 2013.
3. Chu, F.-H., Y.-C. Kao, and K.-L. Wong, "Penta-band WWAN handset antenna embedded in a small notch in the system ground plane," AP-S Int. Symp., 1-2, Jul. 8-14, 2012.
4. Lin, P.-W. and K.-L.Wong, "InternalWWAN handset antenna formed by a monopole strip radiator and a clearance region thereof as monopole slot radiator," Proc. Antennas and Propagat. Int. Symp., 1361-1364, Oct. 29-Nov. 2, 2012.
5. Lin, P. W. and K. L. Wong, "Simple monopole slot antenna for WWAN/LTE handset application," Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf. Proc., 829-832, 2011.
6. Wong, K. L. and M. T. Chen, "Small-size LTE/WWAN printed loop antenna with an inductively coupled branch strip for bandwidth enhancement in the tablet computer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 12, 6144-6151, Dec. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2282291
7. Wong, K.-L. and C.-Y. Tsai, "Small-size stacked inverted-F antenna with two hybrid shorting strips for LTE/WWAN tablet device," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 8, 3962-3969, May 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2323415
8. Taga, T. and K. Tsunekawa, "Performance analysis of a built-in planar inverted F antenna for 800MHz band portable radio units," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 5, 921-929, Jun. 1987. doi:10.1109/JSAC.1987.1146593