In this paper, a 3D quasi-static numerical algorithm for computation of the magnetic field produced by power lines is presented. These power lines can be overhead power line phase conductors and shield wires or buried cable line phase conductors. The basis of the presented algorithm is the application of Biot-Savart law and the thin-wire approximation of cylindrical conductors. The catenary form of the power line conductors is approximated by a set of straight cylindrical segments. By summing up contributions of all conductor segments, magnetic field distribution is computed. On the basis of the presented theory, a FORTRAN program PFEMF for computation of the magnetic flux density distribution was developed. For each conductor catenary, it is necessary to define only global coordinates of the beginning and ending points and also the value of the longitudinal phase conductor current. Global coordinates of beginning and ending points of each catenary segment are generated automatically in PFEMF. Numerical results obtained by program PFEMF are compared with results obtained by simple 2D model and results obtained using software package CDEGS.
1. Wertheimer, N. and E. Leeper, "Electrical wiring configurations and childhood cancer," American Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 109, No. 3, 273-284, 1979.
2. Savitz, D. A. and D. P. Loomis, "Magnetic field exposure in relation to leukemia and brain cancer mortality among electric utility workers," American Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 141, No. 2, 123-134, 1995.
3. Verkasalo, P. K., "Magnetic fields and leukemia-risk for adults living close to power lines," Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health, Vol. 22, No. 2, 1-56, 1996.
4. Kroll, M. E., J. Swanson, T. J. Vincent, and G. J. Draper, "Childhood cancer and magnetic fields from high-voltage power lines in England and Wales: A case-control study," British Journal of Cancer, Vol. 103, No. 7, 1122-1127, 2010. doi:10.1038/sj.bjc.6605795
5. IARC, "Non-ionizing radiation, Part 1: Static and extremely low-frequency (ELF) electric and magnetic fields," IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol. 80, 1-395, 2002.
6. International Commission on Non-ionizing Radiation Protection, "Guidelines for limiting exposure to time-varying electric and magnetic fields (1Hz to 100 kHz)," Health Physics, Vol. 99, No. 6, 818-836, 2010.
7. Haznadar, Z. and ZStih, Electromagnetic Fields, Waves and Numerical Methods, IOS Press, Amsterdam, 2000.
8. Fitzpatrick, R., Maxwell’s Equations and the Principles of Electromagnetism, Infinity Science Press LLC, Hingham, 2008.
9. Olsen, R. G. and P. S. Wong, "Characteristics of low frequency electric and magnetic fields in the vicinity of electric power lines," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 7, No. 4, 2046-2055, 1992. doi:10.1109/61.157008
10. Moro, F. and R. Turri, "Fast analytical computation of power-line magnetic fields by complex vector method," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 23, No. 2, 1042-1048, 2008. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2007.915212
11. Kaune, W. T. and L. E. Zaffanella, "Analysis of magnetic fields produced far from electric power lines," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 7, No. 4, 2082-2091, 1992. doi:10.1109/61.157011
12. Memari, A. R. and W. Janischewskyj, "Mitigation of magnetic field near power lines," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 11, No. 3, 1577-1586, 1996. doi:10.1109/61.517519
13. Filippopoulos, G. and D. Tsanakas, "Analytical calculation of the magnetic field produced by electric power lines," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 20, No. 2, 1474-1482, 2005. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2004.839184
14. Garrido, C., A. F. Otero, and J. Cidras, "Low-frequency magnetic fields from electrical appliances and power lines," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 18, No. 4, 1310-1319, 2003. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2003.817744
15. Olsen, R. G., et al., "Magnetic fields from electric power lines theory and comparison to measurements," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 3, No. 4, 2127-2136, 1988. doi:10.1109/61.194025
16. Rankovic, V. and J. Radulovic, "Prediction of magnetic field near power lines by normalized radial basis function network," Advances in Engineering Software, Vol. 42, No. 11, 934-938, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.advengsoft.2011.06.008
17. Vujevic, S., P. Sarajcev, and D. Lovri, "Computation of the power line electric and magnetic fields," Proceedings of the 17th Telecommunications Forum TELFOR, 875-878, Belgrade, Serbia, Nov. 2009.
18. Vujevic, S., D. Lovric, and P. Sarajcev, "Comparison of 2D algorithms for the computation of power line electric and magnetic fields," European Transactions on Electrical Power, Vol. 21, No. 1, 505-521, 2011. doi:10.1002/etep.457
19. Ismail, H. M., "Characteristics of the magnetic field under hybrid AC/DC high voltage transmission lines," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 79, No. 1, 1-7, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.epsr.2008.04.005
20. Habiballah, I. O., A. S. Farag, M. M. Dawoud, and A. Firoz, "Underground cable magnetic field simulation and management using new design configurations," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 45, No. 2, 141-148, 1998. doi:10.1016/S0378-7796(97)01223-6
21. San Segundo, H. B. and V. F. Roig, "Reduction of low voltage power cables electromagnetic field emission in MV/LV substations," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 78, No. 6, 1080-1088, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.epsr.2007.09.006
22. Almeida, M. E., V. M. Machado, and M. G. Das Neves, "Mitigation of the magnetic field due to underground power cables using an optimized grid," European Transactions on Electrical Power, Vol. 21, No. 1, 180-187, 2011. doi:10.1002/etep.427
23. Machado, V. M., "Magnetic field mitigation shielding of underground power cables," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 2, 707-710, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2011.2174775
24. Canova, A., D. Bavastro, F. Freschi, L. Giaccone, and M. Repetto, "Magnetic shielding solutions for the junction zone of high voltage underground power lines," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 89, 109-115, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.epsr.2012.03.003
25. El Dein, A. Z., "Magnetic-field calculation under EHV transmission lines for more realistic cases," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 24, No. 4, 2214-2222, 2009. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2009.2028794
26. Lucca, G., "Magnetic field produced by power lines with complex geometry," European Transactions on Electrical Power, Vol. 21, No. 1, 52-58, 2011. doi:10.1002/etep.411
27. Salari, J. C., A. Mpalantinos, and J. I. Silva, "Comparative analysis of 2- and 3-D methods for computing electric and magnetic fields generated by overhead transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 24, No. 1, 338-344, 2009. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2008.923409
28. Modric, T., S. Vujevic, and T. Majic, "Geometrical approximation of the overhead power line conductors," International Review on Modelling and Simulations, Vol. 7, No. 1, 76-82, 2014.
29. Modric, T., "Advanced numerical computation of electromagnetic field of power lines and substations,", Ph.D. Thesis, University of Split, FESB, 2014 (in Croatian).