Use of discontinuities in microstrip lines is currently employed to improve the performance of different passive circuits, including reduction of amplifiers, enhancement of filter characteristics and applications to suppress harmonics in patch antennas. This paper presents an improved method of size reduction of a microstrip antenna using Defected Microstrip Structure (DMS) that it is used to perform serious LC resonance property in certain frequency. The DMS is integrated in antenna structure, and therefore this method keeps the antenna size unchanged and makes a resonance frequency. This resonance is due to the abrupt change of current path of antenna that resonates at 5.8 GHz which is shifted to 2.69 GHz thanks to spiral DMS. A prototype of the antenna was fabricated with an FR4 substrate and tested.
1. Sai Sandeep, B. and S. Sreenath Kashyap, "Design and simulation of microstrip patch array antenna for wireless communications at 2.4 GHz," International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Vol. 3, No. 11, Nov. 2012.
2. Garg, B., R. Tiwari, A. Kumar, and S. K. Thakur, "Design of broadband rectangular microstrip patch antenna inset ‘L’ shaped feed with rectangular ‘L’ slots in ground plane," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 29, No. 1.
3. Nashaat, D., H. A. Elsade, E. Abdallah, H. Elhenawy, and M. F. Iskandar, "Multiband and miniaturized inset feed microstrip patch antenna using multiple spiral-shaped defect ground structure (DGS)," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, APSURSI’ 09, 1-4, Jun. 1–5, 2009.
4. Lo, T. K. and Y. Hwang, "Microstrip antennas of very high permittivity for personal communications," 1997 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 253-256, 1997.
5. Tirado-Mendez, J. A., M. A. Peyrot-Solis, H. Jardon Aguilar, E. A. Andrade-Gonzalez, and M. Reyes-Ayala, "Applications of novel defected microstrip structure (DMS) in planar passive circuits," Proceedings of the 10th WSEAS International Conference on CIRCUITS, 336-369, Vouliagmeni, Athens, Greece, Jul. 10–12, 2006.
6. Chakraborty, M., B. Rana, P. Sarkar, and A. Das, "Size reduction of microstrip antenna with slots and defected ground structure," International Journal of Electronics Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 1, 61-64, 2012.
7. Xiao, J.-K. and W.-J. Zhu, "New bandstop filter using simple defected microstrip structure," Microwave Journal, Sep. 11, 2011.
8. Elftouh, H., N. A. Touhami, M. Aghoutane, S. El Amrani, A. Tazon, and M. Boussouis, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 25-33, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14092302
9. Fan, M., R. Hu, Z. H. Feng, X. X. Zhang, and Q. Hao, "Advance in 2D-EBG structures’ research," J. of Infrared Millimeter Waves, Vol. 22, No. 2, 2003.
10. Arya, A. K., A. Patnaik, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Microstrip patch antenna with skew-F shaped DGS for dual band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 19, 147-160, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM11052305
11. Kapoor, S. and D. Parkash, "Miniaturized triple band microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for wireless communication applications," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 57, No. 7, Nov. 2012, ISSN: 0975-8887.
12. Lo, T. K. and Y. Hwang, "Microstrip antennas of very high permittivity for personal communications," 1997 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 253-256, 1997.
13. Sinati, R. A., CAD of Microstrip Antennas for Wireless Applications, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1996.
15. Wang, H. Y. and M. J. Lancaster, "Aperture-coupled thin-film superconducting meander antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, 829-836, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.774137
16. Yang, F., K. Ma, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A uniplanar compact photonic bandgap (DC-PBG) structure and its applications for microwave circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 8, 1509-1514, Aug. 1999. doi:10.1109/22.780402
17. Mao, S.-G. and Y. Zhi, "Coplanar waveguide BPF with compact size and wide spurious free stopband using electromagnetic bandgap resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 7, No. 3, 181-183, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.890461
18. Lim, J., C. Kim, D. Ahn, Y. Jeong, and S. Nam, "Design of lowpass filters using defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2539-2545, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.852765
19. EI-Shaarawy, H. B., F. Coccetti, R. Plana, M. EI-Said, and E. A. Hashish, "A novel reconfigurable DGS cell for multistopband filter on CPW technology," 2008 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-4, 2008. doi:10.1109/APMC.2008.4958689
20. Ahn, D., J. S. Park, C. S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, 86-93, Jan. 2001. doi:10.1109/22.899965
21. Sung, Y. J., C. S. Ahn, and Y.-S. Kim, "Size reduction and harmonic suppression of rat-race hybrid coupler using defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 1, 7-9, Jan. 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2003.821499
22. El-Shaarawy, H. B., F. Coccetti, R. Plana, M. El Said, and E. A. Hashish, "Compact bandpass ring resonator filter with enhanced wide-band rejection characteristics using defected ground structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, 500-502, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2000998
23. Parui, S. K., S. R. Choudhury, A. Roy, L. Murmu, and S. Das, "Bandstop filtering characteristics of a new spiral defected microstrip structure (DMS)," International Symposium on Devices MEMS, Intelligent Systems & Communication (ISDMISC), 2011.
24. Kazerooni, M., A. Cheldavi, and M. Kamarei, "Comparing the performance of defected microstrip structure (DMS) and defected ground structure (DGS) in microstrip miniature circuits," Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering, 2009.
25. Hosseini, S. R., R. Sarraf Shirazi, and G. Moradi, "A novel defect microstrip structure (DMS) coupled line bandpass filter in C band," PIERS Proceedings, 845-848, Moscow, Russia, Aug. 19–23, 2012.