This paper presents an effective joint range-DOA-frequency (JRDF) estimation method based on fourth-order cumulants for multiple mixed near-field sources and far-field sources impinging on a symmetric uniform linear array, named as JRDF algorithm. Making use of the proposed method, range-DOA-frequency can be effectively estimated by the same eigen-pair of a defined ``information matrix'' constructed by two fourth-order cumulant matrices. Compared with the related works, the proposed method can provide superior performance, such as higher estimation accuracy, without the procedure of parameter search or parameter matching. Simulation results are presented to demonstrate the efficacy of the proposed approach.
"Jrdf Algorithm for Joint Range-DOA-Frequency Estimation of Mixed Near-Field and Far-Field Sources," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 43, 39-50, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERM15051801
1. Krim, H. and M. Viberg, "Two decades of array signal processing research: The parametric approach," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 13, No. 4, 67-94, 1996. doi:10.1109/79.526899
2. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143830
3. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT-estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, 1989. doi:10.1109/29.32276
4. Gao, F. and A. B. Gershman, "A generalized ESPRIT approach to direction-of-arrival estimation," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 12, No. 3, 254-257, 2005. doi:10.1109/LSP.2004.842276
5. Liu, F. L., J. K. Wang, and C. Y. Sun, "Spatial differencing method for DOA estimation under the coexistence of both uncorrelated and coherent signals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2052-2062, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2186216
6. Huang, Y. D. and M. Barkat, "Near-field multiple source localization by passive sensor array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 7, 968-975, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.86917
7. Chen, J. F. and X. L. Zhu, "A new algorithm for joint range-DOA-frequency estimation of near-field sources," EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, 386-392, 2004. doi:10.1155/S1110865704310152
8. Zhi, W. and M. Y. M. Chia, "Near-field source localization via symmetric subarrays," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, 409-412, 2007. doi:10.1109/LSP.2006.888390
9. Liang, J., X. Zeng, and B. Ji, "A computationally efficient algorithm for joint range-DOA estimation of near-field sources," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 19, No. 4, 596-611, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.dsp.2008.06.006
10. Liang, J. and D. Liu, "Passive localization of mixed near-field and far-field sources using two-stage MUSIC algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 1, 108-120, 2010. doi:10.1109/TSP.2009.2029723
11. He, J., M. N. S. Swamy, and M. O. Ahmad, "Efficient application of MUSIC algorithm under the coexistence of far-field and near-field sources," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2066-2070, 2012. doi:10.1109/TSP.2011.2180902
12. Jiang, J. J., F. J. Duan, and J. Chen, "Mixed near-field and far-field sources localization using the uniform linear sensor array," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 8, 487-490, 2012.
13. Liu, G. H. and X. Y. Sun, "Two-stage matrix differencing algorithm for mixed far-field and near-field sources classification and localization," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 14, No. 6, 1957-1965, 2014. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2014.2307060
14. Du, R., F. Liu, and J. Wang, "Space-time matrix method for mixed near-field and far-field sources localization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 36, 131-137, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERM14040203
15. Wang, B., J. Liu, and X. Y. Sun, "Mixed sources localization based on sparse signal reconstruction," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 19, No. 8, 487-490, 2012. doi:10.1109/LSP.2012.2204248
16. Wang, B., Y. P. Zhao, and J. J. Liu, "Mixed-order MUSIC algorithm for localization of far-field and near-field sources," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 20, No. 4, 311-314, 2013. doi:10.1109/LSP.2013.2245503
17. Jiang, J.-J., F.-J. Duan, and J. Che, "Three-dimensional localization algorithm for mixed near-field and far-field sources based on ESPRIT and MUSIC method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 136, 435-456, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12121208
18. Swindlehurst, A. L. and T. Kailath, "Passive direction-of-arrival and range estimation for near-field sources," IEEE Fourth Annual ASSP Workshop on Spectrum Estimation and Modeling, 123-128, Minneapolis, MN, 1988.
19. Wax, M. and T. Kailath, "Detection of signals by information theoretic criteria," IEEE Transaction on Acoustic, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 33, No. 2, 387-392, 1985. doi:10.1109/TASSP.1985.1164557
20. Chen, Q., Y. B. Hua, and P. Stoica, "Asymptotic performance of optimal gain-and-phase estimators of sensor arrays," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 48, No. 12, 3587-3590, 2000. doi:10.1109/78.887058
21. Wijnholds, S. J. and A. J. Veen, "Multisource self-calibration for sensor arrays," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 57, No. 9, 3512-3522, 2009. doi:10.1109/TSP.2009.2022894
22. Wu, H. T., J. F. Yang, and F. K. Chen, "Source number estimators using transformed Gerschgorin radii," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 43, No. 6, 1325-1333, 1995. doi:10.1109/78.388844
23. Kay, S. M., Fundamentals of Statistical Signal Processing: Estimation Theory, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 1993.