A broadband via-hole less transition from a conductor-backed coplanar waveguide (CBCPW) to a parallel coupled microstrip line (CMS) via microstrip section (MS) is reported in this paper that is realized on a MCL FX-2 substrate (100 μm thick). This transition should find a wide variety of applications due to its demonstrated broadband (from 4.5 GHz up to 39.5 GHz) behavior, ease of fabrication, and low manufacturing cost. In addition, utilization of the MS section between the CBCPW and CMS sections allows putting ground electrode in a different plane than the signal electrodes. This exibility made possible by electromagnetic field coupling between the bottom and top ground planes simplifies the transition manufacturing and facilitates the characterization of optical components driven with CMS line using coplanar probes.
Afshin S. Daryoush,
"Via-Hole Less Broadband Conductor-Backed Coplanar Waveguide to Coupled Microstrip Transition Up to 40 GHz
," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 56, 47-51, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL15060404
1. Garcia-Garcia, J., F. Martin, F. Falcone, J. Bonache, I. Gil, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, M. Sorolla, and R. Marques, "Spurious passband suppression in microstrip coupled line band pass filters by means of split ring resonators," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 9, 416-418, 2014. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.832066
2. Islam, R., F. Elek, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Coupled-line metamaterial coupler having co-directional phase but contra-directional power flow," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 5, 315-315, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20040197
3. Hadjloum, M., M. El Gibari, H. W. Gundel, H. W. Li, and A. S. Daryoush, "Ultra-wideband GCPW-CMS-GCPW transition for characterization of all-optical ADCs based on leaky waveguide deflector," 21st Telecommunications Forum (TELFOR), 356-359, 2014.
4. Anagnostou, D. E., M. Morton, J. Papapolymerou, and C. G. Christodoulou, "A 0-55-GHz coplanar waveguide to coplanar strip transition," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 1, 1-6, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.911909
5. Butrym, A. and S. Pivnenko, "CPW to CPS transition for feeding UWB antennas," Ultrawideband and Ultrashort Impulse Signals, Second International Workshop, 107-108, 2004. doi:10.1109/UWBUS.2004.1388063
6. Kim, S., S. Jeong, Y. T. Lee, D. H. Kim, J. S. Lim, K. S. Seo, and S. Nam, "Ultra-wideband (from DC to 110 GHz) CPW to CPS transition," Electron. Lett., Vol. 8, No. 13, 622-623, 2002. doi:10.1049/el:20020423
7. Yu, D. and R. Zhu, "A new wideband vertical transition between coplanar waveguide and coplanar stripline," PIERS Proceedings, Beijing, China, Mar. 23-27, 2009.
8. Li, K., D. Kurita, and T. Matsui, "An ultra-wideband bandpass filter using broadside-coupled microstrip-coplanar waveguide structure, in microwave symposium digest," 2005 IEEE MTT-S international, 675-678, 2005.
9. Mao, S. G., C. T. Hwang, R. B. Wu, and C. H. Chen, "Analysis of coplanar waveguide-to-coplanar stripline transitions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 1, 23-29, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.817468
10. Wu, P., Z. Wang, and Y. Zhang, "Wideband planar balun using microstrip to CPW and microstrip to CPS transitions," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 24, 1611-1613, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.1791
11. El-Gibari, M., D. Averty, C. Lupi, H. Li, and S. Toutain, "Ultra-wideband GCPW-MS transitions for characterising microwave and photonic components based on thin polymer," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 9, 553-555, 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2010.3745