In this paper, the problem of RCS reduction in cylindrical structures with various boundary conditions are investigated comprehensively. It has been done through a general form of boundary conditions called Mixed-Impedance boundary conditions. Genetic algorithm, a powerful optimization method, is used to explore specific conditions that provide major reduction of cylindrical structure's RCS. The optimizations are performed in case of normally and obliquely incident illuminations. Finally, the optimized values are formulated in terms of incident angle to construct a simple and fast way of evaluation of the minimum RCS situation. The results are compared with a cylindrical PEC structure, and it has been verified that the optimized values of MI boundary conditions could result in significant backward RCS reduction for both normal and oblique incident.
"RCS Reduction of Cylindrical Structure Using Mixed-Impedance Boundary Conditions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 56, 133-139, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL15061808
2. Engheta, N., "Thin absorbing screens using metamaterial surfaces," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Societ. Int. Symp., 392-395, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.11006
3. Treyakov, S. A. and S. I. Maslovsi, "Thin absorbing structure for all incidence angles based on the use of a high-impedance surface," Microw Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 3, 175-178, Aug. 2003.
4. Luo, Y., Y. Zhuang, and S. Z. Zhu, "Thin and broadband salisbury screen absorber usingMinkowski fractal structure," Proc. APMC, 2573-2576, 2009.
5. Li, M., S. Xiao, Y. Bai, and B. Z. Wang, "An ultrathin and broadband radar absorber resistive FSS," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 748-751, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2123064
6. Wallen, H., I. V. Lindell, and A. Sihvola, "Mixed-impedance boundary conditions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 5, 1580-1586, May 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2041149
7. Lindell, I. V. and A. Sihvola, "Electromagnetic boundary conditions defined in terms of normal field components," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1128-1135, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2013431
8. Lindell, I. V. and A. Sihvola, "Uniaxial IB-medium interface and novel boundary conditions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 3, 694-700, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027180
9. Lindell, I. V., A. Sihvola, P. Yla-Oijala, and H. Wallen, "Zero backscattering from self-dual objects of finite size," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2725-2731, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM12122809
10. Mashhadi, M., A. Abdolali, and N. Komjani, "Electromagnetic wave scattering from cylindrical structure with mixed-impedance boundary conditions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 29, 207-222, 2013.