In this paper, a very compact ultra-wideband (UWB) multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antenna, with a high isolation and triple notched bands, is proposed. Its size is dramatically decreased to 30×26×0.8 mm3 on a cost-effective FR4 substrate. It consists of two rectangular printed monopole (PM) elements and a simple stepped ground stub to enhance wideband isolation. For two different rejected bands of the wireless local area network (WLANs) covering 5.15-5.35 and 5.72-5.825 GHz, four parasitic C-shaped split-ring resonators (PCSRR) are placed on either side of the feed line. By etching two inverted U-shaped slots on the center of the patch, the notched frequency at 4 GHz C-band (3.7-4.2 GHz) of satellite communication systems is obtained. The results of simulation and measurement prove a bandwidth of S11<-10 dB and S12<-21 dB over the whole band (3.1-11.2 GHz) excluding the three independently adjustable rejection bands. Hence, the proposed UWB MIMO antenna has a very small size, simple structure, higher isolation and three narrower notched bands which effectively save more useful frequencies. Moreover, it is a good candidate for wireless portable UWB MIMO applications.
"Compact Triple Band-Notched UWB MIMO Antenna with Simple Stepped Stub to Enhance Wideband Isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 56, 59-65, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL15081405
1. Vaughan, R. G. and J. B. Andersen, "Antenna diversity in mobile communication," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 36, No. 4, 149-172, Nov. 1987. doi:10.1109/T-VT.1987.24115
2. Zheng, L. and N. C. Tse, "Diversity and multiplexing: A fundamental tradeoff in multiple-antenna channels," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 49, No. 5, 1073-1096, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TIT.2003.810646
3., "Federal communications commission revision of part 15 of the commission’s rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission system from 3.1 to 10.6GHz,", 98-153, Federal Communications Commission, Washington, D.C., ET-Docket, FCC, 2002.
4. Kaiser, T., F. Zheng, and E. Dimitrov, "An overview of ultra-wide-band systems with MIMO," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 285-312, Feb. 2009. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2008.2008784
5. Jiang, D., Y. Xu, R. Xu, and W. Lin, "Compact dual-band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with modified CSRR," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 20, 1250-1252, Sep. 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2012.2489
6. Li, J. F., Q. X. Chu, Z. H. Li, and X. X. Xia, "Compact dual band-notched UWB MIMO antenna with high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 9, 4759-4766, Sep. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2267653
7. Tang, T. C. and K. H. Lin, "An ultrawideband MIMO antenna with dual band-notched function," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1076-1079, Jun. 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2329496
8. Kang, L., H. Li, X. H. Wang, and X. W. Shi, "Compact offset microstrip-fed MIMO antenna for band-notched UWB application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. PP, No. 99, 1, 2015, DOI 10.1109/LAWP.2015.2422571.
9. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 5, 1917-1924, May 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2406892
10. Thomas, K. G. and M. Sreenivasan, "A simple ultrawideband planar rectangular printed antenna with band dispensation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 1, 27-34, Jan. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2036279
11. Lee, W.-S., D.-Z. Kim, K.-J. Kim, and J.-W. Yu, "Wideband planar monopole antennas with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3637-3644, Dec. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2007359
12. Zhang, S., Z. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Ultrawideband MIMO/diversity antennas with a tree-like structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1279-1282, Dec. 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2037027
13. Qin, H. and Y.-F. Liu, "“Compact UWB MIMO antenna with ACS-fed structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, 29-37, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14033105
14. Khan, M. S., A. D. Capobiaco, A. I. Najam, I. Shoaib, E. Autizi, and M. F. Shafique, "Compact ultra-wideband diversity antenna with a floating parasitic digitated decoupling structure," IET Microw.Antenna and Propag., Vol. 8, No. 10, 747-753, Mar. 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0672
15. Khan, M. S., A. D. Capobianco, M. F. Shafique, B. Ijaz, A. Naqvi, and B. D. Braaten, "Isolation enhancement of a wideband MIMO antenna using floating parasitic elements," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1677-1682, Jul. 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29162