In this paper, a printed planar monopole antenna (PPMA) is presented for PCS, UWB and X-band. The antenna is designed in two stages. In the design of the preliminary PPMA used to obtain the proposed PPMA, the structure is divided into sections, and they are optimized in the sense of bottom to up strategy. The bandwidth is enhanced by employing tapered transitions and inset feed. The resulting antenna operates between 2.37 GHz and 12 GHz with VSWR<2 and an average peak realized gain (Gpr) of 4.95 dB. Therefore, the preliminary antenna can be considered to be suitable for Bluetooth, WLAN, WiMAX, UWB and X-band. The proposed PPMA is designed by implementing slots on the preliminary PPMA to include PCS, and to suppress Bluetooth and commonly used WLAN and WiMAX bands, the ones allocated out of UWB. The proposed antenna operates in the 1.67 GHz-1.91 GHz and 3 GHz-15 GHz bands with VSWR<2. The Gpr in PCS is 1.32 dB at 1.8 GHz, and the average Gpr is 5 dB for the 3 GHz-15 GHz band. The group delay performances are also examined, and the maximum group delay deviations of preliminary and proposed PPMAs are observed as 1 ns and 1.25 ns, respectively.
1. Vainikainen, P., et al., "More than 20 antenna elements in future mobile phones, threat or opportunity?," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2940-2943, Berlin, 2009.
2. Asghar, A., M. Malick, M. Karlsson, and A. Hussain, "A multiwideband planar monopole antenna for 4G devices," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 3, 589-593, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27360
3. Praveen, S., O. Raoul, P. Bradley, A. David, L. Todd, S. Daniel, K. Jonathan, and P. John, "Miniature radar for mobile devices," IEEE High Performance Extreme Computing Conference, 1-8, Waltham, 2013.
4. Ammann, M., "Control of the impedance bandwidth of wideband planar monopole antennas using a beveling technique," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 4, 229-232, 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1273
5. Dubost, G. and S. Zisler, Antennas a Large Bande, Masson, Paris, 1976.
6. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. Ray, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-295, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.660976
8. Kim, W. C. and W. G. Yang, Design and Implementation of UWB CPW-fed Planar Monopole Antenna with Dual Band Rejection Characteristics, Ultra Wideband Communications: Novel Trends Antennas and Propagation, M. A. Matin (ed.), InTech, DOI: 10.5772/941, 2011.
9. Low, Z., J. Cheong, and C. Law, "Low-cost PCB antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 237-239, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.852577
10. Lu, Y., Y. Huang, H. T. Chattha, and Y. Shen, "Technique for minimising the effects of ground plane on planar ultra–wideband monopole antennas," IET Microwaves Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 5, 510-518, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2011.0453
11. Ojaroudi, M. and N. Ojaroudi, "Ultra–wideband slot antenna with frequency band-stop operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2020-2023, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27768
12. Ray, K., S. Thakur, and A. Deshmukh, "Slot cut printed elliptical UWB monopole antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 3, 631-635, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28134
13. Abdollahvand, A., A. Pirhadi, H. Ebrahimian, and M. Abdollahvand, "A compact UWB printed antenna with bandwidth enhancement for in-body microwave imaging applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 149-157, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14111405
14. Beigi, P., J. Nourinia, B. Mohammadi, and A. Valizafe, "Bandwidth enhancement of small square monopole antenna with dual band notch characteristic using U-shaped slot and butterfly shape parasitic element on backplane for UWB applications," ACES J., Vol. 30, No. 1, 78-85, 2015.
15. Joseph, S., B. Paul, S. Mridula, and P. Mohanan, "CPW-fed UWB compact antenna for multiband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 56, 29-38, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC14112401
16. Parkash, D. and R. Khanna, "Triple band rectangular-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX/UWB applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2540-2544, 2010.
17. Zehforoosh, Y. and T. Sedghi, "A CPW-fed printed antenna with band-notched function using an M-shaped slot," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 5, 1088-1092, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28278
18. Xu, Y., C. Zhang, Y.-Z. Yin, and Z. Yang, "Compact triple-band monopole antenna with inverted-L slots and SRR for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 55, 1-6, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL15070904
19. Wu, R., P. Wang, Q. Zheng, and R. Li, "Compact CPW-fed triple band antenna for diversity applications," Elect. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 10, 735-736, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.0466
20. Bakariya, P. S., S. Dwari, and M. Sarkar, "Triple band notch UWB printed monopole antenna with enhanced bandwidth," Int. J. Elect. Comm. (AEÜ), Vol. 69, 26-30, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2014.07.023
21. Wang, J. and X. He, "Analysis and design of a novel compact multiband printed monopole antenna," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Article ID 694819, 2013.
22. Ray, K. P. and S. Thakur, "Ultra wide band vertex truncated printed pentagon monopole antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 10, 2228-2234, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28558
23. Tran, D., On the Design of a Super Wideband Antenna, Ultra Wideband, B. Lembrikov, ed., InTech, DOI: 10.5772/941, 2010.
24. Tanyer-Tigrek, F. M., D. P. Tran, I. E. Lager, and L. P. Ligthart, "CPW-fed quasi-magnetic printed antenna for ultra-wideband applications," IEEE Antennas Propag. Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 2, 61-70, 2009. doi:10.1109/MAP.2009.5162019
25. Manohar, M., U. K. Nemani, R. S. Kshetrimayum, and A. K. Gogoi, "A novel super wideband notched printed trapezoidal monopole antenna with triangular tapered feedline," International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication, 1-6, Bangolore, 2014.
26. Latif, S. I., L. Shafai, and S. K. Sharma, "Bandwidth enhancement and size reduction of microstrip slot antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 3, 994-1003, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842674
27. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley, Hoboken, 2012.
28. McEvoy, P., M. John, S. Curto, and M. J. Ammann, "Group delay performance of ultra wideband monopole antennas for communication applications," Antennas and Propagation Conference, 377-380, Loughborough, 2008.