A dual-band multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antenna system for LTE 700/2300/2500, UMTS2100, GSM 1800/1900 mobile phone applications is presented. The whole system consists of four identical 3-D IFAs (inverted F antenna) loaded with lumped inductors and folded on FR4 cuboids. Without any special designed decoupling structures, the measured isolation among antenna elements is higher than 13 dB. Return loss characteristics, correlation coefficient, gain and radiation performance are also presented.
"Four-Element Dual-Band MIMO Antenna System for Mobile Phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 60, 47-56, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15101302
1. Song, L. and J. Shen, Evolved Cellular Network Planning and Optimization for UMTS and LTE, CRC Press, London, 2011.
2. Dioum, I., A. Diallo, S. M. Farssi, and C. Luxey, "A novel compact dual-band LTE antenna-system for MIMO operation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 4, 2291-2296, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2301151
3. Yang, L. S., J. P. Fang, and T. Li, "Compact dual-band MIMO antenna system for mobile handset application," IEICE Trans. on Communications, Vol. E98-B, No. 12, Dec. 2015.
4. Guo, Y.-X., M. Y. W. Chia, and Z. N. Chen, "Miniature built-in quad-band antennas for mobile handsets," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, 3-32, 2003.
5. Ban, Y. L., J. H. Chen, J. L. W. Li, and Y. J. Wu, "Small-size printed coupled-fed antenna for eight-band LTE/GSM/UMTS wireless wide area network operation in an internal mobile handset," IET Microwave, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 6, 399-407, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2012.0390
6. Ban, Y.-L., Z.-X. Chen, Z. Chen, K. Kang, and J. L.-W. Li, "Decoupled closely spaced heptaband antenna array for WWAN/LTE smartphone applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 31-34, 2014.
7. Shoaib, S., I. Shoaib, N. Shoaib, X. D. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Design and performance study of a dual-element multiband printed monopole antenna array for MIMO terminals," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 329-332, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2305798
8. Zeng, Q. H., Y. Yao, S. H. Liu, J. S. Yu, P. Xie, and X. D. Chen, "Tetraband small-size printed strip MIMO antenna for mobile handset application," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, Article ID 320582, 2012.
9. Lee, B., F. J. Harackiewicz, and H. Wi, "Closely mounted mobile handset MIMO antenna for LTE13 band application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 31-34, 2014.
10. Yang, C., Y. Yao, J. S. Yu, and X. D. Chen, "Novel compact multiband MIMO antenna for mobile terminal," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, Article ID 691681, 2012.
11. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030495
12. Qualcomm Corp., San Diego, CA, "Diversity antenna design guide-lines," Tech. Rep. 80-V8782-5 Rev. B, Jan. 2006.
13. Vaughan, R. G. and J. B. Andersen, "Antenna diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 36, No. 4, 149-172, 1987. doi:10.1109/T-VT.1987.24115
14. Cihangir, A., F. Ferrero, G. Jacquemod, P. Brachat, and C. Luxey, "Neutralized coupling elements for MIMO operation in 4G mobile terminals," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 141-144, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2298392