A multilayer notch-loaded antenna for dual-band (L & S) operation has been proposed in this paper for wireless communications. The antenna is multilayered with dielectric layers of FR4 and Rogers/Duroid. A superstrate layer has been introduced with square-shaped elements angled at 90 degrees to each other with an empty space just above the patch. The proposed structure of the antenna with superstrate layer is applicable to low frequency consecutive dual band operations. The antenna also shows very good radiation characteristics with a gain of more than 7.0 dB and side lobe levels reduced to a very good extent of around -20 dB.
1. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Norwood, 2003.
2. Bahl, J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Artech House Inc., London, 1985.
3. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley, 2005.
4. Nasimuddin, Z. N., S. P. S. Chan, and X. Qing Terrence, "Multi-dielectric layer multi patches microstrip antenna for UWB Applications," 37th European Microwave Conf. 2007, Munich, Germany, 2007.
5. Abu Tarboush, H. F. and H. S. Al-Raweshidy, "A connected E-shape and U-shape dual-band patch antenna for different wireless applications," The Second International EURASIP Work-Shop on RFID Technology (EURASIP’08), Budapest, Hungary, 2008.
6. Ghalibafan, J., A. R. Attari, and F. Hojjat-Kashani, "A new dual-band microstrip antenna with U-shaped slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 215-223, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10012706
7. Phongcharoenpanich, C. and K. Boonying, "A 2.4-GHz dual polarized suspended square plate rectenna with inserted annular rectangular ring slot," Int. J. RF and Microwave Comp. Aid. Eng., 2015, doi: 10.1002/mmce.20949.
8. Chawanonphithak, Y. and C. Phongcharoenpanich, "Miniaturized dual-band II-shaped monopole antennas with modified rectangular ground plane," 11th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology, 1-4, May 2014.
9. Khairuddin, A. W. and S. H. Al-Charchafchi, "Using equivalent dielectric constant to simplify the analysis of patch microstrip antenna with multilayer substrates," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 676-679, 1998.
10. Zhong, S. and G. Liu, "Improved transmission line model for input impedance of rectangular microstrip antennas with multi-dielectric layers," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 492-495, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.286217
11. Waterhouse, R. B., "Stacked patches using high and low dielectric constant material combinations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, 1767-1771, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.817651
12. Zhong, X.-J., L. Chen, Y. Shi, and X.-W. Shi, "A dual-band single-layer circularly polarized reflectarray composed by elements having variable rotation angles," Int. J. RF and Microwave Comp. Aid. Eng., Vol. 25, 39-47, 2015, doi: 10.1002/mmce.20821. doi:10.1002/mmce.20821
13. Shen, L. C., et al., "Resonant frequency of a circular disk printed circuit antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 25, 595-596, 1977. doi:10.1109/TAP.1977.1141643
15. Derneryd, A. G., "Analysis of microstrip disk antenna element," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 27, 660-664, 1979. doi:10.1109/TAP.1979.1142159
16. Songa, L. Z. and Y. M. Nieb, "A dual-polarized printed monopole antenna for C-band radar systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 11, 1-8, 2014.
17. Kandwal, A., J. V. Chauhan, and S. K. Khah, "A new compact efficient parasitically coupled notch-loaded antenna,", Vol. 1, 128-133, 2013.
18. Behera, S. and K. J. Vinoy, "Microstrip square ring antenna for dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 41-56, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09021909
19. Liao, W., Q. X. Chu, and S. Du, "Tri-band circularly polarized stacked microstrip antenna for GPS and CNSS applications," ICMMT Proceedings, 252-255, 2010.
20. Yuan, H., S. Qu, J. Zhang, H. Zhou, J. Wang, H. Ma, and Z. Xu, "Dual-band dual-polarized spiral antenna for chinese compass navigation satellite system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 46, 25-30, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14031006