Multipactor effect is studied in a hollow elliptical waveguide carrying two orthogonal polarization modes, i.e., the fundamental (TEc11) and the second (TEs11) elliptical waveguide modes. The introduction of a modal equivalent voltage allows defining the standard axial ratio, which characterizes each polarization state of the problem. The RF breakdown threshold is determined as a function of the axial ratio for various amplitudes and phases of the two elliptical modes. In particular, the effect of the second mode on the RF breakdown threshold of the fundamental mode is studied. The simulations are carried out for different values of the eccentricity of the ellipse eccentricity.
1. Boria, V. E. and B. Gimeno, "Waveguide filters for satellites," Microwave Magazine, IEEE, Vol. 8, No. 5, 60-70, 2007. doi:10.1109/MMM.2007.903649
2. Mallahzadeh, A. R. and S. Esfandiarpour, "Wideband H-plane horn antenna based on ridge substrate integrated waveguide (RSIW)," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 85-88, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2183110
3. Esfandiarpour, S. and A. Frotanpour, "Analysis of a novel V-shape feed line for log-periodic dipole array antenna," 2015 31st International Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics (ACES), 1-2, Mar. 2015.
4. Hatch, A. J. and H. B. Williams, "Multipactor modes of high-frequency gaseous breakdown," The Physical Review, Vol. 112, No. 3, 681-685, 2nd Series, Nov. 1958. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.112.681
5. Vaughan, J. R. M., "Multipactor," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 35, No. 7, 1172-1180, Jul. 1988. doi:10.1109/16.3387
6. Kishek, R. A., Y. Y. Lau, L. K. Ang, A. Valfells, and R. M. Gilgenbach, "Multipactor discharge on metals and dielectrics: Historical review and recent theories," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 5, No. 5, 2120-2126, May 1998. doi:10.1063/1.872883
7. Frotanpour, A., G. Dadashzadeh, and M. Shahabadi, "Investigation of multipactor effect on return loss degradation," 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 1739-1742, 2011.
9. Woode, A. and J. Petit, "Diagnostic investigations into the multipactor effect, susceptibility zone measurements and parameters affecting a discharge,", Technical Report, ESA/ESTEC Working Paper No. 1556, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, Nov. 1989.
10., Space Engineering: Multipacting Design and Test, ESA Publication Division, The Netherlands, ECSS-20-01A, edited by ESA-ESTEC, May 2003.
11. Lara, J., F. Pérez, M. Alfonseca, L. Galán, I. Montero, E. Román, and D. Raboso, "Multipactor prediction for on-board spacecraft RF equipment with theMEST software tool," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 34, No. 2, 476-484, Apr. 2006. doi:10.1109/TPS.2006.872450
12. Anza, S., C. Vicente, D. Raboso, J. Gil, B. Gimeno, and V. E. Boria, "Enhanced prediction of multipaction breakdown in passive waveguide components including space charge effects," IEEE 2008 International Microwave Symposium, 1095-1098, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Jun. 2008.
13. Wang, C., K. Y. Hsieh, L. H. Chang, M. C. Lin, and K. R. Chu, "A tunable reflecting load for multipactor processing of the RF power coupler of a superconducting cavity," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 17, No. 2, 1285-1290, Jun. 2007. doi:10.1109/TASC.2007.899823
14. Zimmermann, F., "A simulation study of electron cloud instability and beam induced multipacting in the LHC,", CERN, Geneva, Switzerland, CERN-LHC-Project-Report-95, Feb. 1997.
15. Semenov, V. E., E. I. Rakova, D. Anderson, M. Lisak, and J. Puech, "Multipactor in rectangular waveguides," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 14, 033501, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2480678
16. Udiljak, R., D. Anderson, M. Lisak, V. Semenov, and J. Puech, "Multipactor in a coaxial transmission line. Part I: Analytical study," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 14, No. 3, 033508, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2710464
17. Pérez, A. M., C. Tienda, C. Vicente, S. Anza, J. Gil, B. Gimeno, V. E. Boria, and D. Raboso, "Prediction of multipactor breakdown thresholds in coaxial transmission lines for traveling, standing, and mixed waves," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 37, No. 10, 2031-2040, Oct. 2009. doi:10.1109/TPS.2009.2028428
18. Pérez, A. M., V. E. Boria, B. Gimeno, S. Anza, C. Vicente, and J. Gil, "Multipactor analysis in circular wave-guides," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1575-1583, 2009.
19. Semenov, V. E., N. A. Zharova, D. Anderson, M. Lisak, and J. Puech, "Simulations of multipactor in circular waveguides," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 17, 123-503, 2010.
20. Semenov, V. E., E. I. Rakova, A.G. Sazontov, I. M. Nefedov, V. I. Pozdnyakova, I. A. Shereshevskii, D. Anderson, M. Lisak, and J. Puech, "Simulations of multipactor thresholds in shielded microstrip lines," Journal of Physiscs D: Applied Physics, Vol. 42, 205204, 2009. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/42/20/205204
21. Semenov, V., E. Rakova, N. Zharova, D. Anderson, M. Lisak, and J. Puech, "Simulations of the multipactor effect in hollow waveguides with wedge-shaped cross section," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 36, No. 2, 488-493, Apr. 2008.
22. Hueso, J., C. Vicente, B. Gimeno, V. E. Boria, S. Marini, and M. Taroncher, "Multipactor effect analysis and design rules for wedge-shaped hollow waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3508-3517, Dec. 2010. doi:10.1109/TED.2010.2075931
23. Frotanpour, A., G. Dadashzadeh, M. Shahabadi, and B. Gimeno, "Analysis of multipactor RF breakdown thresholds in elliptical waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 58, No. 3, 876-881, Mar. 2011. doi:10.1109/TED.2010.2097600
24. Frotanpour, A., B. Gimeno Martinez, and S. Esfandiarpour, "Multipactor in dual-mode elliptical waveguide," 2015 31st International Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics (ACES), 2015.
25. Keneshloo, R., G. Dadashzadeh, A. Frotanpour, and M. Okhovvat, "Multipactor analysis in dielectric resonator waveguide filters," Journal of Communication Engineering, Vol. 1, 18-24, 2012.
26. Gimeno, B. and M. Guglielmi, "Full wave network representation for rectangular, circular, and elliptical to elliptical waveguide junctions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave, Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 3, 376-384, Mar. 1997. doi:10.1109/22.563336
27. Accatino, L., G. Bertin, and M. Mongiardo, "Elliptical cavity resonators for dual-mode narrow-band filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 12, 2393-2401, Dec. 1997. doi:10.1109/22.643850
28. Bertin, G., B. Piovano, L. Accatino, and M. Mongiardo, "Full-wave design and optimization of circular waveguide polarizers with elliptical irises," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 4, 1077-1083, Apr. 2002. doi:10.1109/22.993409
29. Verlet, L., "Computer experiments on classical fluids. I. Thermodynamical properties of Lennard Jones molecules," Physical Review, Vol. 159, No. 1, 98-103, Jul. 1967. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.159.98
30. Spriter, Q. and M. Walter, "Classical molecular dynamics simulation with the Velocity Verlet algorithm at strong external magnetic fields," Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 152, No. 1, 102-119, Jun. 1999. doi:10.1006/jcph.1999.6237
31. Vaughan, J. R. M., "A new formula for secondary emission yield," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 36, No. 9, 1963-1967, Sep. 1989. doi:10.1109/16.34278
32. Somersalo, E., P. Yl-Oijala, and D. Proch, "Electron multipacting in RF structures," Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY, Hamburg, Germany, TESLA Rep., 94-14, 1994.
33. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Handbook, Peter Peregrinus Ltd., 1993.