A triple-band planar electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structure used for gain enhancement and wideband radar cross section reduction (RCSR) of antenna is presented in this paper. Three band-gaps of an EBG structure are realized by introducing two pla-nar spiral inductances on a planar EBG structure. An equivalent model of EBG is given to further understand the formation of three band-gaps. The proposed EBG is placed around antenna units and arrays to calculate the affection of the RCS and the gain. Due to the band-gaps of the EBG structure, RCS of antennas is reduced, and the gain of antennas is enhanced. Results show that the RCS is reduced as much as 20 dB from 9 GHz to 21 GHz, and both of bandwidth and gain of antennas can be slightly enhanced. Two antenna units operating at 8.6 GHz are fabricated and measured to verify the correctness of simulation. Measured and simulated results are in good agreement.
"Gain Enhancement and Wideband RCS Reduction of a Microstrip Antenna Using Triple-Band Planar Electromagnetic Band-Gap Structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 65, 103-108, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL16110802
1. Knott, E. F., J. F. Shaeffer, and M. T. Tuley, Radar Cross Section, SciTech, Raleigh, NC, USA, 2004. doi:10.1049/sbra026e
2. Lv, J., S.-X. Gong, and F.-W. Wang, "RCS reduction of Quasi-Yagi antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 53, 89-97, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14052905
3. Ramkumar, M. A., C. Sudhendra, and K. Rao, "A novel low RCS microstrip antenna array using thin and wideband radar absorbing structure based on embedded passives resistors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 68, 153-161, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16080506
4. Li, Y. and Y. Liu, "Microstrip antenna using ground-cut slots for low RCS with size miniaturization techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letter, Vol. 1, 211-220, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERC08021604
5. Jiang, W., "Low RCS microstrip antenna array with incident wave in grazing angle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 73-82, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14090802
6. Jia, Y., Y. Liu, and S. X. Gong, "Printed UWB end-fire Vivaldi antenna with low RCS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 11-20, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL12112011
7. Zheng, J., S.-J. Fang, and Y. Jia, "RCS reduction of patch array antenna by complementary splitring resonators structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 51, 95-101, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14050503
8. Liu, T., et al. "RCS reduction of waveguide slot antenna with metamaterial absorber," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 479-484, 2013.
9. Volakis, J. L., et al. "Broadband RCS reduction of rectangular patch by using distributed loading," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 25, 2322-2323, 1992. doi:10.1049/el:19921494
10. Zhang, J., et al. "RCS reduction of patch array antenna by electromagnetic band-gap structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1048-1501, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2215832
11. Li, Y. Q., et al. "RCS reduction of ridged waveguide slot antenna array using EBG radar absorbing material," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 473-476, 2008.
12. Xu, W. W., "A novel microstrip antenna with composite patch structure for reduction of in-band RCS," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 139-142, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2357017
13. Soliman, et al., "Optimized design of a low-RCS patch antenna using a frequency selective surface," Antennas Propagation Society International Symposium, 329-332, 2012.
14. Liu, Y., et al. "Low RCS microstrip patch antenna using frequency selective surface and microstrip resonator," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1290-1293, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2402292
15. Liu, Y., et al. "RCS reduction of patch array antenna based on microstrip resonator," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 4-7, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2354341
16. Zahir Joozdani, M., et al. "Wideband radar cross-section reduction of patch array antenna with miniaturized hexagonal loop frequency selective surface," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 9, 767-768, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2016.0336