This paper proposes a compact and miniaturized branch-line coupler using a crossing bond wire structured slow-wave branch line (CBWSWB). The proposed coupler achieves a size reduction of 82% compared with a conventional implementation. Measured S11, S21, S31 and S41 of the proposed coupler are better than -24, -3.7, -3.7 and -28 dB at 3 GHz, respectively. Furthermore, the phase difference between through and coupling ports of the coupler is within 1°.
"Compact Slow-Wave Branch-Line Coupler Using Crossing Bond Wires," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 65, 117-121, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL16120802
1. Chiang, Y. C. and C. Y. Chen, "Design of a wide-band lumped-element 3 dB quadrature coupler," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 3, 476-479, Mar. 2001. doi:10.1109/22.910551
2. Brzezina, G. and L. Roy, "A miniature lumped element LTCC quadrature hybrid coupler for GPS applications ," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Society Int. Conf., 1-4, 2008.
3. Sakagami, I., M. Tahara, and M. Fuji, "Lumped-element type D branch coupler," Proc. IEEE Asic-Pacific Microwave Conf., 2656-2659, 2009.
5. Yang, J. G., Y. Jeong, S. Choi, and K. Yang, "A new compact 3-D hybrid coupler using multi-layer microstrip lines at 15 GHz," Proc. of the 36th European Microwave Conf., 25-28, 2006. doi:10.1109/EUMC.2006.281172
6. Liao, S. S., P. T. Sun, N. C. Chin, and J. T. Peng, "A novel compact-size coupler branch-line coupler," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 9, 588-590, 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.855378
7. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, and J.-G. Liang, "Novel composite right/left handed transmission lines using fractal geometry and compact microwave devices application," Radio Science, Vol. 46, RS5008, 2011.
8. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, P.-L. Chen, and T.-P. Li, "Miniaturized fractal-shaped branch-line coupler for dual-band application based on composite right/left handed transmission lines," Journal of Zhejiang University --- SCIENCE C, Vol. 12, No. 9, 766-773, 2011. doi:10.1631/jzus.C1000343
9. Wang, J., B. Z. Wang, Y. X. Guo, L. C. Ong, and S. Xiao, "A compact slow-wave microstrip branch-line coupler with high performance," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 7, 501-503, Jul. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.899307
10. Wang, J., B. Z. Wang, Y. X. Guo, L. C. Ong, and S. Xiao, "Compact slow-wave microstrip rat-race coupler," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 2, 111-113, Jun. 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20073191
11. Sun, K. O., S. J. Ho, C. C. Yen, and D. V. D. Weide, "A compact branch-line coupler using discontinuous microstrip lines," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 8, 519-520, Aug. 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.852789
12. Lim, Y. K. and H. Y. Lee, "Novel slow-wave structure using bond-wire for minimizing microwave devices," Proc. IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf., 1-4, 2007.
13. Lim, Y. and H. Y. Lee, "Novel miniaturized branch-line coupler using bond wire slow-wave structure," Proc. IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf., 1-4, 2008.
14. Zhou, B., W. X. Sheng, and H. Wang, "Slow-wave effect enhanced branch line power divider using crossing bond wires," IET Electronics Letter, Vol. 47, No. 22, 2011.
15. Bahl, I., Lumped Elements for RF and Microwave Circuits, Artech House, Boston, London, 2003.
16. Microwave office, Applied Wave Research Corporation, , EI Segundo, CA.