In this paper, a novel planar monopole ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with quad notched bands is investigated. The proposed antenna is composed of a circular-shaped radiating element, a 50 Ω microstrip feed line, a quad-mode stepped impedance resonator (SIR), and a partially truncated ground plane. By coupling a quad-mode SIR with an additional outer line beside the microstrip feedline, band-rejected filtering properties around C-band (5.2/5.8 GHz) WLAN bands, and X-band (8.5/10.5 GHz) satellite communication bands are generated. The measurement of voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) is in agreement with simulation. The results show that the proposed antenna not only retains an ultrawide bandwidth but also owns quad band-rejections capability. The UWB antenna demonstrates omnidirectional radiation patterns across nearly the whole operating bandwidth that is suitable for UWB applications.
"A Novel Planar Monopole UWB Antenna with Quad Notched Bands Using Quad-Mode Stepped Impedance Resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 69, 29-36, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL17041202
1. Revision of Part 15 of the Commission’s Rules Regarding Ultra-Wideband Transmission Systems, First Note and Order Federal Communications Commission, , ET-Docket 98-153 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007393
3. Naser-Moghadasi, M., H. Rousta, and B. S. Virdee, "Compact UWB planar monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1382-1385, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2033952
4. Mazinani, S.-M. and H. R. Hassani, "A novel broadband plate-loaded planar monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1123-1126, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048851
5. Sun, M., Y. P. Zhang, and Y. Lu, "Miniaturization of planar monopole antenna for ultra-wideband radios," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2420-242, 2010.
6. Lee, W.-S., D.-Z. Kim, K.-J. Kim, and J.-W. Yu, "Wideband planar monopole antennas with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 2800-2806, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.858969
7. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, 766-768, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20040302
8. Kim, Y. and D. H. Kwon, "CPW-fed planar ultra wideband antenna having a frequency band notch functions," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 403-405, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20080484
9. Yin, K. and J. P. Xu, "Compact ultra-wideband antenna with dual bandstop characteristic," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, 453-454, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.24792
10. Bi, D.-H., Z.-Y. Yu, S.-G. Mo, and X.-C. Yin, "Two new ultra-wideband antennas with 3.4/5.5 GHz dual band-notched characteristics," Microwave Opt. Tech. Nol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2942-2945, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.928792
11. Dong, Y.-D., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, et al. "Development of ultrawideband antenna with multiple band-notched characteristics using half mode substrate integrated waveguide cavity technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 2894-2902, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027727
12. Ryu, K.-S. and A. A. Kishk, "UWB antenna with single or dual band-notches for lower WLAN band and upper WLAN band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3942-3950, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2330585
13. Abbas, S.-M., Y. Ranga, A. K. Verma, and K. P. Esselle, "A simple ultra wideband printed monopole antenna with high band rejection and wide radiation patterns," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 9, 4816-4820, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2356135
14. Siddiqui, J.-Y., C. Saha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Compact dual-SRR-loaded UWB monopole antenna with dual frequency and wideband notch characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 1, 100-103, 2015.