A novel microstrip-to-CPW resonator is presented, which can be employed to design bandwidth-tunable bandpass filter. The tri-mode resonator is composed of a dual-mode microstrip resonator and a CPW stub printed on a single piece of substrate. Two varactors embedded in the resonator are utilized to adjust the frequencies of the first and third resonant modes independently, thus flexible bandwidth control can be achieved. For demonstration, a prototypical filter is implemented with fixed center frequency of 1.72 GHz and 9.3%-32.6% fractional bandwidth (FBW) tuning range. Good agreement is obtained between the simulated and experimental results.
"Tri-Mode Bandwidth-Tunable Filter Based on Microstrip-to-CPW Resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 69, 99-104, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL17052304
1. Hsieh, L.-H. and K. Chang, "Tunable microstrip bandpass filters with two transmission zeros," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 2, 520-525, Feb. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.807830
2. Ahn, C. H., D. J. Jung, and K. Chang, "Compact parallel-coupled line bandpass filter using double complementary split ring resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 3, 506-509, Mar. 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27373
3. Chen, Z. H. and Q. X. Chu, "Reconfigurable bandpass filter with electric coupling and constant absolute bandwidth," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1401-1404, Jun. 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29835
4. Chiou, Y. C. and G. M. Rebeiz, "A tunable three-pole 1.5-2.2-GHz bandpass filter with bandwidth and transmission zero control," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 11, 2872-2878, Sep. 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2164619
5. Chi, P. L., T. Yang, and T. Y. Tsai, "A fully tunable two-pole bandpass filter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 5, 292-294, Mar. 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2015.2409794
6. Chaudhary, G., Y. Jeong, and J. Lim, "Dual-band bandpass filter with independently tunable center frequencies and bandwidths," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 1, 107-116, Nov. 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2222910
7. Huang, X., Q. Feng, and Q. Xiang, "Bandpass filter with tunable bandwidth using quadruple-mode stub-loaded resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 4, 176-178, Apr. 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2188280
8. Huang, X., Q. Feng, L. Zhu, et al. "Triple-mode dual-band bandpass filter on microstrip-to-CPW structure," Wireless Symposium (IWS), 2014 IEEE International. IEEE, 1-4, 2014.