This paper aims to present two types of carbon nanotubes composite materials (CNTs-composite) for antenna applications within terahertz (THz) frequency band. These composite materials consist of CNTs coated by copper and silver, separately, to construct CNTs-copper and CNTs-silver composite materials, respectively. The comparisons between the dipole antennas of these structure materials with CNTs dipole antenna and copper dipole antenna are presented to exhibit performance evaluation of the presented new dipole antennas. The mathematical modeling of CNTs-composite material is presented in this paper. The results obtained from the comparisons CNTs-copper and CNTs-silver dipole antennas are presented based on S11 parameters, gain and efficiency.
1. Redo-Sanchez, A. and X.-C. Zhang, "Terahertz science and technology trends," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 2, 260-269, 2008. doi:10.1109/JSTQE.2007.913959
2. Hanson, G. W., "Fundamental transmitting properties of carbon nanotube antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 11, 3426-3435, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858865
3. Hanson, G. W. and J. A. Berres, "Multiwall carbon nanotubes at RF-THz frequencies: Scattering, shielding, effective conductivity and power dissipation," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 8, 3098-3103, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2158951
4. Jurn, Y. N., M. F. Malek, and H. A. Rahim, "Mathematical analysis and modeling of single-walled carbon nanotube composite material for antenna applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 45, 59-71, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERM15091702
5. Jurn, Y. N., M. F. Malek, W.-W. Liu, and H. K. Hoomod, "Investigation of single-wall carbon nanotubes at THz antenna," 2nd International Conference on Electronic Design (ICED), 415-420, 2014.
6. Jurn, Y. N., M. F. Malek, and H. A. Rahim, "Performance assessment of the simulation modeling approach of SWCNT at THz and GHz antenna applications," IEEE 12th Malaysia International Conference on Communications (MICC), 246-251, 2015. doi:10.1109/MICC.2015.7725442
7. Hanson, G. W. and J. Hao, "Infrared and optical properties of carbon nanotube dipole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, Vol. 5, No. 6, 766-775, 2006. doi:10.1109/TNANO.2006.883475
8. Zhao, M., M. Yu, and H. Robert Blick, "Wavenumber-domain theory of terahertz single-walled carbon nanotube antenna," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 18, No. 1, 166-175, 2012. doi:10.1109/JSTQE.2011.2111361
9. Burke, P. J., C. Rutherglen, and Z. Yu, "Single-walled carbon nanotubes: Applications in high frequency electronics," International Journal of High Speed Electronics and Systems, Vol. 16, No. 4, 977-990, 2006. doi:10.1142/S0129156406004119
10. Hanson, G. W., "Current on an infinitely-long carbon nanotube antenna excited by a gap generator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 1, 76-81, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.861550
11. Hanson, G. W., "Radiation efficiency of nanoradius dipole antennas in the microwave and far-infrared regime," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 3, 66-77, 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2008.4563565
12. Su, Y., H. Wei, Z. Yang, and Y. Zhang, "Highly compressible carbon nanowires synthesized by coating single-walled carbon nanotubes," Carbon, Vol. 49, No. 6, 3579-3584, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.carbon.2011.04.060
13. Peng, Y. and Q. Chen, "Fabrication of Copper/MWCNT hybrid nanowires using electroless copper deposition activated with silver nitrate," Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 159, No. 5, 72-77, 2012.
14. Peng, Y. and Q. Chen, "Fabrication of one-dimensional Ag/multiwalled carbon nanotube nano-composite," Nanoscale Research Letters, Vol. 7, No. 5, 1-5, 2012.
15. Wang, X., C. Wang, L. Cheng, S. T. Lee, and Z. Liu, "Noble metal coated single-walled carbon nanotubes for applications in surface enhanced raman scattering imaging and photo thermal," Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 134, No. 9, 7414-7422, 2012. doi:10.1021/ja300140c