A novel array-antenna decoupling surface (ADS) for mutual coupling reduction in microstrip patch antenna is proposed in this paper. The proposed ADS is composed of a group of primary reflector patches and a pair of rectangular and T-shaped secondary reflector patches. Through generating the reflected waves with equal magnitude but out of phase of the coupling waves, the isolation of the antenna elements could be significantly improved by the novel proposed ADS. Then, for verification, a two-element microstrip antenna array covered by the proposed ADS with an edge-to-edge separation of 0.11λ0 (λ0 is the wavelength of the operating frequency in free space) was designed and fabricated. As expected, the experimental results have demonstrated that an additional 40.4 dB isolation enhancement at the resonant frequency was achieved by the proposed ADS. Moreover, a much wider bandwidth of the isolation was also obtained than that of return loss of 10 dB. In addition, a gain improvement of 0.95 dB was achieved at 2.45 GHz by utilizing the novel ADS. Thus, the decoupling structure can be applied to multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) systems for its simple structure and high isolation providing.
"Isolation Enhancement Using a Novel Array-Antenna Decoupling Surface for Microstrip Antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 72, 49-59, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18070502
1. Vaughan, R. and J. B. Andersen, "Channels, propagation and antennas for mobile communications," The Institution of Electrical Engineers, 2003.
2. Foschini, G. J., "Layered space 2-time architecture for wireless communications in fading environment when using multi-element antennas," Bell Labs Technology, Vol. 1, 41-59, 1996. doi:10.1002/bltj.2015
3. Allen, J. L. and B. L. Diamond, "Mutual coupling in array antennas,", Tech. Rep. 424 (ESD-TR-66-443), Lincoln Laboratory, M.I.T., Lexington, MA, 1966.
4. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936s-2946, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817983
5. Radhi, A. H., N. A. Aziz, R. Nilavalan, and H. S. Al-Raweshidy, "Mutual coupling reduction between two PIFA using uni-planar fractal based EBG for MIMO application," 2016 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference (LAPC), 1-5, 2016.
6. Habashi, A., J. Naurinia, and C. Ghbadi, "A rectangular defected ground structure for reduction of mutual coupling between closely spaced microstrip antennas," Proc. 20th Iranian Conf. Eng., 1347-1350, 2012.
7. Biswas, S. and D. Guha, "Stop-band characterization of an isolated DGS for reducing mutual coupling between adjacent antenna elements and experimental verification for dielectric resonator antenna array," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 67, No. 4, 319-322, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2012.09.004
8. Hou, D. B., S. Xiao, B. Z. Wang, L. Jiang, J. Wang, and W. Hong, "Elimination of scan blindness with compact defected ground structures in microstrip phased array," IET Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 2, 269-275, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20080037
9. Wang, Z. Y., L. Y. Zhao, Y. M. Cai, S. F. Zheng, and Y. Z. Yin, "A meta-surface antenna array decoupling (MAAD) method for mutual coupling reduction in a MIMO antenna system," Scientific Reports, Vol. 8, No. 3152, 2018. doi:10.1038/s41598-017-18592-4
10. Wu, K. L., N. Chang, W. X. Mei, and Z. Y. Zhang, "Array-antenna decoupling surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 12, 6728-6738, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2712818
11. Wei, C. N. and K. L. Wu, "Array-antenna decoupling surfaces for Quasi-Yagi antenna arrays," Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2103-2104, 2017.
12. Cheng, Y. F., X. Ding, W. Shao, and B. Z. Wang, "Reduction of mutual coupling between patch antennas using a polarization-conversion isolator," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1257-1260, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2631621
13. Ghosh, C.-K., "A compact 4-channel microstrip MIMO antenna with reduced mutual coupling," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, 873-879, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2016.03.018
14. Yang, X., Y. Liu, Y. X. Xu, and S. X. Gong, "Isolation enhancement in patch antenna array with fractal UC-EBG structure and cross slot," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2175-2178, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2703170
15. Vishvaksenan, K. S., K. Mithra, R. Kalaiarasan, and K. S. Raj, "Mutual coupling reduction in microstrip patch antenna arrays using parallel coupled-line resonators," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2146-2149, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2700521