A miniature patch antenna for handset mobile communication is studied by loading an H-shaped patch associated with fashionable mushroom structures. The mushroom structures work as effective high index metamaterials while the H-shape can lengthen the current path on the patch. They both contribute to reduce the patch length. To verify the conceptual method, an H-shaped patch meta-antenna is demonstrated in full wave simulations and experiments. Good agreement has been observed. A compact patch is achieved for the antenna with a size of 0.15λ0×0.15λ0. The measured antenna gain is acceptably high as 4.2 dBi.
"A Miniature h
-Shaped Patch Antenna Loaded with Mushroom Metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 78, 135-139, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18080602
1. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, MA, 2001.
2. Buell, K., H. Mosallaei, and K. Sarabandi, "A substrate for small patch antennas providing tunable miniaturization factor," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 54, No. 1, 135-146, Jan. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.860329
3. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Design and characterization of miniaturized patch antennas loaded with complimentary split ring resonator," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 772-785, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173120
4. Ouedraogo, R. O., E. J. Rothwell, A. R. Diaz, K. Fuchi, and A. Temme, "Miniaturization of patch antennas using a metamaterial-inspired technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 5, 2175-2182, May 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2189699
5. Xu, X. and J. Wei, "Miniaturisation design of patch antenna using a low prole mushroom type meta-substrate tailored with high permittivity," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 7, 1216-1221, Jun. 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.1120
7. Herscovici, N., M. F. Osorio, and C. Peixeiro, "Miniaturization of rectangular microstrip patches using genetic algorithms ," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 1, 94-97, 2002. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2002.805128
8. Palanisamy, V. and R. Garg, "Rectangular ring and H-shaped microstrip antennas-alternatives to rectangular patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 21, 874-876, 1985. doi:10.1049/el:19850617
9. Singh, D., C. Kalialakis, P. Gardner, and P. S. Hall, "Small H-shaped antennas for MMIC applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, 1134-1141, Jul. 2000.
10. Anguera, J., L. Boada, C. Puente, and J. Soler, "Stacked H-shaped microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 4, 983-993, Apr. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825812